Coronavirus

Simon

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Simon »

My parents, in their mid 70's, were both knackered after their jabs (first and second). No other side effects for them tho.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Well I'm still trying to shrug off a cold. Just a cough leftover. My jab is Friday arvo so I fully expect to feel rotten if my immune system is already fairly active.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Can't remember if I posted this before but here goes.
I have issues which are basically OCD, Dep and Anxiety , Grief issues etc.
I guess because of my OCD I have strange tendencies to clean certain things too much, control issues and also have set patterns I need to do before going to bed or going outside. Being a postie has a few benefits but also means we have been slightly busy this last year :lol: So I make sure my van has been spotlessly clean, all surfaces clean, uniform washed as soon as I finish work and showered straight after also.
All had been fine until the Saturday after new year. Started with a snuffle on the Saturday and then lost mt taste and smell Saturday night. Safest thing was to book the drive thru test at a local centre to me ( Stockport ). Sunday morning I drove the 30 minutes to the test centre and got tested. I felt fine apart from a bit of a cold and no smell etc. That was 10am. I got home and lay on the sofa feeling pretty crap but ok. Then things went a bit plop!
Approx 5pm we decided to get the paramedics out. I'd basically tried to walk the 3 metres to the kitchen to make a brew. Cant remember what happened next but my wife found me on the floor unable to breathe. I couldn't move from where I was on the floor. Eventually I got some breath and crawled to the sofa and stayed there till the paramedics arrived.
The paramedics stayed for an hour or so and finally and numerous tests were happy for me to rest at home. The other option would be the estimated 7 hour Saturday night wait at a local hospital! That was the beginning of January. The rest of January I spent trying to walk across the room, slowly building up strength. Then I progressed to a walk around our small garden. Luckily Its got a fence to lean on when it got too much. I slept a hell of a lot too! Still unable to return to normal rural Postie duties I spent the rest of January and February gently increasing my walk distance, until in March I returned to Royal mail. MY taste and smell took a couple of months to return. First week baxk at work I did 2 hours a day inside. Then 4 hours a day since then. My lungs seem to be knackered now. I am officially a long covid case and am now awaiting referral to the respiratory clinic.
It's been a "bit" of a struggle these last few weeks. I have gone from a 30k steps postie able to work and then go on a 10 mile hill walk to barely able to do 5k steps. I go to work for 4 hours return home and sleep for 2 hours then walk the dog around the block and have to rest. A few times I've tried to force my recovery but end up feeling faint due to lack of o2 ( I presume?)

My mental health has taken a battering but at least I have made a bit of progress and am still here to tell the tale!

Out of the 4 in the household (none have ever smoked etc ) I am the fittest and have been left with fatigue, breathlessness, reduced smell and taste, memory issues and a type of brain fog. Not too bad :D :o

Oh and when I had my first jab it knocked mr out for 5 days - full of flu and also a wierd sense almost like sunstroke but without the sunburn. The GP said it was good though as it proved my immune system was ok!

Covid is a bizarre thing, affecting people in totally different ways. Some have little or no symptoms and then .. well it gets worse.

Take care folks
Cockwobble
GG.

Post by GG. »

davecG60 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:32 pm
Oh and when I had my first jab it knocked mr out for 5 days - full of flu and also a wierd sense almost like sunstroke but without the sunburn. The GP said it was good though as it proved my immune system was ok!

Take care folks
Sorry to hear that Dave. I'm hopeful you'll feel better as time progresses.

I also never ceased to be amazed at the ignorant comments GPs come out with sometimes. The 'long covid' you have is likely (at least in part) a form of immune overreaction long after the initial virus has ceased circulating around your system (the symptoms you describe, fatigue, brain fog etc. are typical autoimmune type symptoms). The strong reaction against the vaccine is therefore not an inherent indication of a 'good thing' - it is potentially an additional indicator that your immune system is still in overdrive and questionable if you've had Covid (and particularly if you have long Covid) whether you should have taken the vaccine at all. Slightly akin to poking your immune system with a big stick.

I was speaking to someone at my firm recently about this and their GP had advised there is 'nothing they can do' about long covid and just stick with it. Well, there certainly are some things you could try - prednisolone for example to supress an overactive immune system. There are pros and cons of this as when you stop taking it it could lead to a re-bound, so I would advise caution but to state there is 'nothing' that can be done is just inaccurate really - fairer to say they probably just don't know how best to treat it yet.

Long covid only really mentioned in the later part of this article as it focus more on the acute stage of the illness but it is interesting reading https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00149-1.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Blimey Dave. Hope your recovery goes smoothly from here. GWS!
Oui, je suis un motard.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Feck. However long it takes I hope you get back up to strength.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Wow, good luck and hopefully you'll have a 100% recovery. I think you'll have to fight for it.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That’s a kick in the teeth, hope your recovery keeps pace!!!

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

This is zero help to anyone but my ha'penneth:

Me - first jab - slightly sore upper arm for a day or two but absolutely nothing else.

Wifey - first jab - totally wiped her out the day after the jab, took at least a week to get back to normal.

Second jab booked for 7th June. Fun fun !
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:52 pm This is zero help to anyone but my ha'penneth:

Me - first jab - slightly sore upper arm for a day or two but absolutely nothing else.

Wifey - first jab - totally wiped her out the day after the jab, took at least a week to get back to normal.

Second jab booked for 7th June. Fun fun !
That pretty much mirrors our experience. Women are massive fannies 😂😂
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

:o

Best wishes to you Dave!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

First jab booked for tomorrow. Aiui I want to have quite a response to it to show I have a fighty immune system, I'm surprised they don't put it on a spikey paddle and spank it into your arse.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

My mrs is still suffering over a year since she came out of hospital. Work were pretty good, shielding her over the bad periods and allowing phased returns to build up her hours but she still struggles.

Her gp has been useless, all they say is they can’t do lung function tests because of the COVID risks. She was promised a ct scan of her lungs after she came out which never happened and they changed their mind on.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:01 pm My mrs is still suffering over a year since she came out of hospital. Work were pretty good, shielding her over the bad periods and allowing phased returns to build up her hours but she still struggles.

Her gp has been useless, all they say is they can’t do lung function tests because of the COVID risks. She was promised a ct scan of her lungs after she came out which never happened and they changed their mind on.
Sounds like you need to make some noises Harry!

Our local nhs services have actually been very good of late. I've a lump on my wrist, got a call back same day, sent them a picture, got an appointment within 30 mins and have now been referred (nothing serious).
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Holy shit Dave, hope you get back to normal quickly.

For the last 3/4 months I've been struggling with a foggy head, low blood pressure, low heart rate (32bpm overnight), shortness of breath, fatigue, really struggling with exercise and trying to get my heart rate up and not sleeping great. After months of this I'm constantly feeling f*cked tbh (not in a good way) and its beyond tiresome. After lots of tests the cardiologist seems happy my heart ain't the cause and nothing has shown up on blood tests, but they're now wondering if I've had COVID and this is just part of my recovery.

I've never had any acute covid symptoms although at least twice I've wondered if I've had it although one was the start of last year and we've been pretty religious about following lockdown rules... but we do have kids who are obviously germ factories.

Waiting for the GP to see what to do next.
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Long covid sounds really really shit. Get well soon guys
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Echo what the others have said. Get well soon!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Many thanks for all the well wishes folks! Near enough 5 months in and my progress seems to have plateaued. Struggled with my breath yesterday after mowing the lawn and then putting the bin out. Not good.
The GP has basically left me in the hands of the Chesterfield based Long Covid clinic. GP is updated every month with whats going on and then sorts my limited hours sick note. I've had blood tests , chest xrays, heart traces and oxygen levels taken so far - all passed over to LC clinic. They have now assessed me and are requesting I'm passed over to Respiratory clinic for further investigation.

I'll give that article a read thanks GG _ much appreciated. I struggle to retain info though which is strange. I concentrate and pay attention but cannot keep new info in my head. But ask me about my late Dads numberplate from 1985 and it's there ( B979CWF) Random. Although I wonder if this because of the low oxygen levels I record ?
Cockwobble
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Back when I was 18 (which was a long long time ago now, well over 25 years) I had Glandular Fever, which was pretty bad and hit me for 6. I spent 2 weeks in bed and despite my mums protests I went back to work as I felt better although not fully recovered. I'm not sure if it was down to this but I didn't really get better for many years. The fatigue, non restful sleep, brain fog, dizziness all lingered, I was diagnosed with ME/Chronic fatigue syndrome/post viral fatigue syndrome after about 6 months (it was much less common to get a diagnosis like that then, although it could just be down to better comms that we hear about it more now). It certainly sounds like after the initial COVID infection it is causing this syndrome in people and it certainly sounds to me like both Mike and Dave are suffering with it to different degrees.
My symptoms were quite mild and really like Mike, just pissed me off more than anything else as I could muddle through most things. What it really did was just make everything a chore and took the shine off things that were supposed to be fun. Things have improved markedly over time and I did recover further although I never got my full zip back but I'm well enough to enjoy stuff now. I do know of a couple of people who were a lot worse than me from back then with the regular symptoms (like extreme fatigue for days when they couldn't get out of bed) and had other odd symptoms like extreme sensitivity to light. I have no idea if they recovered as they fell off the radar after we moved.
Post viral fatigue is indeed shitty but in lots of cases like mine it does improve. It's disappointing though that in 25 years the medical profession still don't know what causes it or how to efficiently treat it (there are things that are don't but it's a bit hit and miss on effectiveness).
The heightened immune stuff does intrigue me though as I show heightened FE levels in my blood which usually indicate in people without genetic issues an immune response is underway to something. Hopefully with 'Long Covid' focusing the efforts around post viral fatigue we'll see some progress being made.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I quite agree with this sentiment that they're bigging up the Indian variant in order to keep us in line.

Went out last night for dinner outside a pub, hugged friends and will be doing the same today and tomorrow. Reached the end of my compliance now.