Coronavirus

duncs500

Re: Coronavirus

Post by duncs500 »

Well, as we know, declared profit is probably not the best way to measure them! That's kind of the point. :lol:

In any case, the lowerer end of the scale are going to pay lower conventional contributions if the declare a realistic salary, therfore have even less reason not to do so. At the end of the day, tax and NI are a transaction that the very idea of it is that you pay in and get it back when you need it. If you don't pay in at the same proportion as everyone else, don't be surprised to find that you then don't get back at the same proportion. It's not rocket science is it?
GG.

Post by GG. »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:56 pm If you don't pay in at the same proportion as everyone else, don't be surprised to find that you then don't get back at the same proportion.
I'm very happy to know that I'll be getting back in the same proportion to which I put in!! ;)
Marv

Post by Marv »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:21 pm I'm in the weird position of not knowing what to do about the coronavirus vaccine. Even though as an NHS worker I'll be getting it before even the oldest fogey on this forum (until Beany gets admitted to a care home, that is). I've emailed the Oxford vaccine trial to ask - was I given placebo, in which case will they vaccinate me rather than the NHS roll-out? Was I given the real thing, in which case will they give me a second booster dose? Or should I take the Pfizer vaccine offered on the NHS instead... I doubt anyone has any idea on the safety (let alone efficacy) of mixing the different viruses but the default response in a medical setting is to not let you do something rather than giving you the green light.

I emailed them yesterday (along, presumably, with every other volunteer) and am awaiting their reply...
It's a strange situation indeed! Were you only given one vaccination dose then?
Oui, je suis un motard.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:21 pm I'm in the weird position of not knowing what to do about the coronavirus vaccine. Even though as an NHS worker I'll be getting it before even the oldest fogey on this forum (until Beany gets admitted to a care home, that is). I've emailed the Oxford vaccine trial to ask - was I given placebo, in which case will they vaccinate me rather than the NHS roll-out? Was I given the real thing, in which case will they give me a second booster dose? Or should I take the Pfizer vaccine offered on the NHS instead... I doubt anyone has any idea on the safety (let alone efficacy) of mixing the different viruses but the default response in a medical setting is to not let you do something rather than giving you the green light.

I emailed them yesterday (along, presumably, with every other volunteer) and am awaiting their reply...
Were you given a half dose is another option.

And i found out tonight that the 1/2 dose wasn't accidental at all and that the media just didn't understand what had been going on. Although my response to that was that Oxford/AZ had some fvcking piss poor PR going on as well then :lol:
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Marv wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:29 pm

It's a strange situation indeed! Were you only given one vaccination dose then?
Yes - that was one of the study arms too! But they just don’t mention it in any of the press releases. See below comment about them needing better PR...
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

GG. wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:44 pm It isn't pointless though. There are 45,000 SMEs in the UK and they make an average of £8,000 profit.

On that basis the people you are talking about are statistically the minority and not typical. I wouldn't base any argument around the support to small businesses using them as an example.
How are you defining SME? There’s a lot more than that by any reasonable definition. Roughly 6 million.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:59 pm Ummm. Note sure you understand how this works. If the business makes no money and you pay no tax (corporation or tax on dividends remitted to you as shareholder) then you have received no income from it. If you've paid yourself an income out of net profit rather than dividends then you'd pay income tax on that.
Ummm. Not sure you understand how this works ;)

Take payments from clients in cash and "forget" to declare some of it while making sure the business picks up all the costs.

Disguise your drawings as expenses or purchases. Businesses that buy a lot of materials (e.g. builders....) can hide quite a lot like that.

But importantly, don't get greedy. That's when people get caught out.
GG.

Post by GG. »

We were discussing the rate of dividend tax and tax avoidance. What you're describing is tax evasion apples <----> oranges. ;)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

What we're talking about is people setting up businesses to pay less tax, avoidance or evasion is splitting hairs. It amounts to the same thing ;)
An absolute unit
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

:lol:
An absolute unit
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:41 am What we're talking about is people setting up businesses to pay less tax, avoidance or evasion is splitting hairs. It amounts to the same thing ;)
Only one of them results in a prison sentence though ;)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, which side of the line you're on depends on how friendly you are with the ruling party :lol:
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

So this 800k doses, I was wondering, do they give 400k doses and then wait 3 weeks to give the other 400k to the same people? Or do they give out all 800k and hope they'll have more in 3 weeks time?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Maurice wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:46 am Image
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Gwaredd wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:47 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:47 am And after all those years of tax avoidance paying yourself in dividends, boo-fcuking-hoo :roll:

So pocket your furlough grant and your bounceback loan and stop moaning.
This. The amount of gloating dividend business people I've come across over the years bragging how little tax they pay as 'the business makes no money or runs at a loss ;) ' and how I should just do it too, aren't so smug now. Pay your tax. It makes the World turn.
What are you both on about.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Broccers wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:28 pm
Gwaredd wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:47 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:47 am And after all those years of tax avoidance paying yourself in dividends, boo-fcuking-hoo :roll:

So pocket your furlough grant and your bounceback loan and stop moaning.
This. The amount of gloating dividend business people I've come across over the years bragging how little tax they pay as 'the business makes no money or runs at a loss ;) ' and how I should just do it too, aren't so smug now. Pay your tax. It makes the World turn.
What are you both on about.
Oh fuck all. One an accountant to advise tax advice and another a business owner gifted to him who should know paying less tax is a wise move.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

What are you on about you fucking buffoon? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Marv

Post by Marv »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:27 am So this 800k doses, I was wondering, do they give 400k doses and then wait 3 weeks to give the other 400k to the same people? Or do they give out all 800k and hope they'll have more in 3 weeks time?
If it's something decided by Boris and co, it'll be whatever way they can fuck it up the best.
Oui, je suis un motard.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Marv wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:45 pm
duncs500 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:27 am So this 800k doses, I was wondering, do they give 400k doses and then wait 3 weeks to give the other 400k to the same people? Or do they give out all 800k and hope they'll have more in 3 weeks time?
If it's something decided by Boris and co, it'll be whatever way they can fuck it up the best.
In that case I would imagine they'll give out all 800k doses and then not receive the follow on order in a timely manner and make the first 800k less effective / void. :lol: