Caroline flack

NotoriousREV

Re: Caroline flack

Post by NotoriousREV »

People say that The S*n and the Daily Heil are the worst newspapers in existence, and yet they’re also the most popular. Go figure.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:52 pm People say that The S*n and the Daily Heil are the worst newspapers in existence, and yet they’re also the most popular. Go figure.
The internet age, people need extremes or they lose interest quickly IMO. If folk didn't read these shitrags the demand for this crap wouldn't be there.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Hasn’t she been accused a few times from exes ?

All social media magnets so I don’t believe all of them equally.

As has been said, if a man had done this no-one would care.

A sad state of affairs whatever is the real truth.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:47 pm It's a real shame she felt like that was the only way out, especially at the age of 40.

Lots of stuff on social media today about how she's been treated by the tabloids and ITV, but I can't see anything changing as this exact thing plays out time and time again.
its a difficult one to judge though, these celebrities thrive on the tabloid inches to build their careers and no doubt encourage as much “what is xxxx doing/wearing/going out with/etc” coverage as possible.

You can’t turn that off when it’s not going so well though...

It’s horrible to imagine anyone in the position that they think the only way to escape is suicide though, even though I don’t really know much about her it’s very sad.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

I agree with Jobbo and Rich.

I guess the tabloids are ‘necessary evils’. Same with social media; ‘celebs’ are on there cos of the need for self-promotion, but they got to take the good with the bad. Not saying the ‘trolls’ who post abusive messages on social media ain’t arseholes of course.

Not familiar with Caroline Flack’s recent works as I don’t watch Love Island / Strictly, but she was an excellent presenter when she was doing Extra Factor; seemed very affable and naturally funny. Sad loss.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

No, not a necessary evil at all. There are dozens of magazines that are dedicated to following the minutiae of Z listers lives. As far as I do this they do it without the hatchet style of the shitrags. I wonder how their figures are compiled as any story on the sun has loads of people saying their local shop tries to give out free copies, and others saying they take the pile and hide it etc etc. All of those must be counted in there readership figures, plus all the links accidentally clicked on while scrolling a phone.

But people are dumb, NOTW got canned after being too vile but The Sunday Scum is afaik the same people in the same buildings doing more or less teh same things.

We have huge problems with the newspapers and other media outlets spreading lies and hate but goodness knows what the solution can be as I cannot see everyone stopping reading their paper overnight.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

40 years old is too young. RIP. Time to cancel the show, who watches this pish anyway.
M235i
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:32 am 40 years old is too young. RIP. Time to cancel the show, who watches this pish anyway.
What does the show have to do with it?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:35 am
Alex_ wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:32 am 40 years old is too young. RIP. Time to cancel the show, who watches this pish anyway.
What does the show have to do with it?
Good point. It has nothing to do with it.
M235i
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:31 am But people are dumb
This much is true!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:31 am No, not a necessary evil at all. There are dozens of magazines that are dedicated to following the minutiae of Z listers lives. As far as I do this they do it without the hatchet style of the shitrags.
Yeah, but if those mags go too hard on the celebs one week, or they won’t get the “exclusive wedding/baby/etc” coverage the next week.

It’s only going to get worse, the need for Social media approval these days means there’s more minor celebs than ever to abuse.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Love Island should have been cancelled already due to the 2 contestants who have appeared on it and taken their own lives. If something good can come from Caroline Flack's very sad death, let it be the end of that and all similar programs.

Abhorrent, gutter Television of the absolute worst kind.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:09 am Love Island should have been cancelled already due to the 2 contestants who have appeared on it and taken their own lives. If something good can come from Caroline Flack's very sad death, let it be the end of that and all similar programs.

Abhorrent, gutter Television of the absolute worst kind.
I’d put money on a huge amount of deaths being down to social media. I don’t think the show makes that any worse.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I'd have to disagree with you Dave...

How many Instagram followers would Mike Thalassitis or Sophie Gradon had without their appearances on Love Island? How much of their lives was subsequently built upon the superficial and artificial boost that the show gave them and their media profiles and how much pressure did that ultimately bring? Significant I'd say.

Anyway, It's how I feel about this, and similar shows. I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's right or wrong. You can make up your own mind on that.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The show had nothing to do with her death, stop trying to connect the sudden instant and fickle fame of the contestants with a presenter who had built her career over many years.

She was asked to step down from presenting the show as she probably would have if presenting any other mainstream to show and been accused of a fairly serious assault. Nothing to do with the 'love island' effect at all.
Cheers, Harry
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:47 am I'd have to disagree with you Dave...

How many Instagram followers would Mike Thalassitis or Sophie Gradon had without their appearances on Love Island? How much of their lives was subsequently built upon the superficial and artificial boost that the show gave them and their media profiles and how much pressure did that ultimately bring? Significant I'd say.

Anyway, It's how I feel about this, and similar shows. I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's right or wrong. You can make up your own mind on that.
What pressure though?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Pressure they put on themselves by craving the fame.

I doubt anyone would notice if these instacelebs just closed their social media accounts and went back to a standard 9-5 job.
Cheers, Harry
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:47 am I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's right or wrong. You can make up your own mind on that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You’re essentially arguing that any program that makes someone famous in a short space of time should be scrapped. If you think about it that would essentially end all future artists, actors and sportspeople as the nature of those jobs is that they gain sudden fame.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You do wonder how much research the programs do into the contestants who go on these reality shows, prepare them for the consequences, or ensure they are able to cope with it?

I guess it's a bit like the saying that anyone who wants to be a politician probably shouldn't be one, anyone who wants to go on a reality to program probably shouldn't.
Cheers, Harry