Anyone support two nations?

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: Anyone support two nations?

Post by Gavin »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 am
Gavin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 am Turns out my GG grandparents were Danish from the Faeroe Islands and likely the maternal side was from Orkney so again, likely Scandinavian roots on both sides
That's a pretty interesting generic link..
It certainly explains my compulsion to attack whales!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Gavin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:52 am
Gavin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 am Turns out my GG grandparents were Danish from the Faeroe Islands and likely the maternal side was from Orkney so again, likely Scandinavian roots on both sides
It certainly explains my compulsion to attack whales!
and for eating Puffins...

I have just worked out that in just over a year, I'll have lived more of my life in England than in Ireland - I'm institutionalised !! :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Gavin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 am
Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:40 pm
mik wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:28 pm

I believe Gav was adopted.
Surely they left a note saying he was half Scottish
I was indeed adopted in Scotland, by Scottish people. I was born in Aberdeen and knew my Bio Mother was from Aberdeen area and my bio father was a "sailor".

I went looking after my son was born and delayed at every minor hurdle while prevaricating. Finally tracked down the social work file to find full details about 18 months ago only to find my paternal roots are Hull. Turns out my GG grandparents were Danish from the Faeroe Islands and likely the maternal side was from Orkney so again, likely Scandinavian roots on both sides so with Welsh, English, Scottish and Danish for definite I guess I could just support whoever the bleep I want but as I barely follow rugby or football any more I did try and cheer on England last year against some rugby nation but I couldn't get in to it, hence the question.
Apologies for the flippant post. Good you have found that out.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Broccers wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:23 am
Gavin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 am
Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Surely they left a note saying he was half Scottish
I was indeed adopted in Scotland, by Scottish people. I was born in Aberdeen and knew my Bio Mother was from Aberdeen area and my bio father was a "sailor".

I went looking after my son was born and delayed at every minor hurdle while prevaricating. Finally tracked down the social work file to find full details about 18 months ago only to find my paternal roots are Hull. Turns out my GG grandparents were Danish from the Faeroe Islands and likely the maternal side was from Orkney so again, likely Scandinavian roots on both sides so with Welsh, English, Scottish and Danish for definite I guess I could just support whoever the bleep I want but as I barely follow rugby or football any more I did try and cheer on England last year against some rugby nation but I couldn't get in to it, hence the question.
Apologies for the flippant post. Good you have found that out.
No worries, I had always known I was adopted, if I had discovered that at 40odd I might have been a bit more put out! :D
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Where are the folk that raised you from? I'd be following whatever they taught me as they are your parents really.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Funnily enough, my Mum and bio mother were brought up a few miles apart on the NE coast.

Even funnier, my brother (adopted also) is good friends with a guy who turns out to be my cousin! :)

I grew up watching the 5 nations with my Dad who is Scottish and supports Scotland. It was more the thought of supporting more than one nation that intrigued me as I presume that if I had known from an early age I might think differently so was interested to see what others did, especially as we all seem to be a smorgasbord of bloodlines.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It basically means he can eat whale meat on a bed of salmon, haggis gratin on the side with a nice pastry for after a.

Gavin, can I come round for dinner ?

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

[mention]Gavin[/mention] if you fancy digging around your Danish heritage I'm happy to help with language issues.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Ireland in Rugby Northern Ireland in Football, but if England are playing then obviously anybody except England.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Celtic or Rangers Pete ??? ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:28 pm @Gavin if you fancy digging around your Danish heritage I'm happy to help with language issues.
Thank you! That is kind. I believe an Aunt has a family tree going way way back! GGGrandpa was Siggurd Johannson which I am guessing is like John Smith? :)

I was also told "there was Danish Royalty in there" but I have a suspicion in the vein of Danny Dyer and his Royal connections! :)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The obvious answer is Scotland and whoever is playing England at anything (because of the media as much as anything) but it snot quite as simple as that 😉

The first World Cup I remember was Spain 1982, but my thoughts of us winning it disappeared after our thumping defeat of New Zealand, I started supporting Italy - no idea why as they didn't exactly set the place alight with their results in the first couple of games. Since then I've always had them as my second international team.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 pm Celtic or Rangers Pete ??? ;)
You can't just come straight out and ask that Dinny, the first question is usually, got any Union Jack tattoos? :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

What’s the second biggest city in Northern Ireland is more subtle... ;)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

:lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I was going to ask Pete what he thought of the results in the Irish General Election :shock:

And they scoffed at our Brexit result... :lol:
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

This thread reminds of the ancient Jim Davidson joke about uniting against racism and how the Scottish, Welsh, English and Irish should all just get together, and kick the crap out of the French.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Except that historically the French and Scottish have liked to get together to fight the English :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

And the Irish are so jealous of Wales' Rugby success, we don't like them anymore :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:39 am
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:28 pm @Gavin if you fancy digging around your Danish heritage I'm happy to help with language issues.
Thank you! That is kind. I believe an Aunt has a family tree going way way back! GGGrandpa was Siggurd Johannson which I am guessing is like John Smith? :)

I was also told "there was Danish Royalty in there" but I have a suspicion in the vein of Danny Dyer and his Royal connections! :)
Not quite that bad in terms of it being common. Population of the Faroe Islands isn't exactly big, so there's hope. Only issue is they don't speak Danish as a first language. Still, if I can help!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away