Anyone play drums in here?

KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Anyone play drums in here?

Post by KiwiDave »

Or anyone in bands with people who do?

I have a need to buy either a cheap new drum kit, or a second hand one in decent condition for my old man in the UK when I return later in the year. I've got no real idea what the buying scene is like for them in the UK so before I start trawling Ebay and FB Market groups and presumably finding every dodgy wanker on earth trying to sell absolute wrecks for top dollar, I was wondering if any of you have any pointers for places to look?

Google suggested these guys for instance https://www.drumshack.co.uk/ but I've no idea if they're legit etc. Any help welcome.
unzippy

Re: Anyone play drums in here?

Post by unzippy »

My mate Tim hangs about with musicians (currently https://www.facebook.com/flamepilotsrock/ and https://www.facebook.com/pg/U2Tribe.Uk. ... .U2/about/)

He say:
I know Drumshack. I’ve bought stuff from them.
I can also recommend Wembley music centre (formerly known as Wembley Drum Centre). They have a great online site.
The Drum Shop are good. Graham Russell Drums have a good rep too.
Otherwise it’s joining Facebook sites.
If he finds something I can always give it the once over or advise on price. Most of the stores sell new kits and limited secind hand offerings.

What’s his budget?

Probably one of the better ones
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5078272 ... ?ref=share

And this one
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2167625 ... ?ref=share
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

Budget is whatever it takes to get something reasonable, but without spending heaps, probably 5-700 squids.

Background is the old man wants me to take his vintage kit back to NZ when I return to the UK (chance to arrange shipping and sort all that) which is of massive sentimental value to me. Would like to be left with something he can still play which isn't absolutely shit to keep himself mobile/combat his arthritis in his old age. Depending on costs of shipping (working on that currently) buying him a modest kit to do this is worth it to enable the fancy drums to come back here.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I’m intrigued, what’s the vintage kit?
Is £500-£700 including hardware and cymbals?
If it’s just for his dad to play at home, Has he considered an electric kit? The new mesh head electric kits are sobering else. Plus much easier to control volume so much more friendly on ageing ears. I’d get one to practice on at home if I could afford it.
Actually the electronic kit probably out of price range. 😏
The mesh ones start at this
https://www.wembleymusiccentre.com/ales ... plete.html
Otherwise the Gretsch Catalina Club kits are smaller than your average kit but sound great. The are new at about £400-£500 but that gives a bit of spare cash to get done hardware and cymbals. Thing is you could spend that again on hardware and cymbals. In fact you could easily spend 4 times that if you’re fussy! 🤣
Or take your chance on the second hand market.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

It's a combo of early 90's Sonor Hilite and Signature with Istanbul cymbals (pre Agop/Mehmet split)

That'll either mean something or be complete hokum to him :D
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Yeah nice kit! Those old cymbals people either love or hate too. I had a 1960s zildjian I ‘inherited’ (long story). I sold it for £550 for a quick sale and the guy I sold it to quickly sold it on for more. It was purchased by Lucy’s cousin (an idiot) for $2000 dollars in LA in the early ‘90s - he was a jazz drummer. I was asked to sell if for him last year.
Anyway, long story short, this revered vintage Zildjian made in Istanbul in the factory that now make Istanbul cymbals sounded like and old trash can lid to me! Not my cup of tea at all! Depends what you play, weight of cymbal etc. I like some of the Istanbul cymbals though. And some of the ‘70s zildjian stuff is lush. I kinda lean towards more modern drums and cymbals sounds now, even though I own a 1980’s Tama Granstar II in shocking pink a la Joey Kramer.

IaFG Down Under Division
mik

Post by mik »

this is a confusing thread to read
Simon

Post by Simon »

Spoiler
No it isn't
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:05 am
Spoiler
No it isn't
Ba-dum-tiss
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

:lol:

And I've always had pretty good service from Andertons, bought two Fender Strats off them in recent years, no issues.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/drum-dept/a ... :&pageSize
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It’s definitely confusing!

You want to take your dads drum set to NZ for sentimental reasons, but you want to leave him with another drum set.

Ok, but then it sounds like you don’t know much about drums. So why do you want to take his drums?? To stare at?

Either way, the word “drum” just looks sillier the more you type it.
mik

Post by mik »

My confusion was more around unzippy’s
unconventional

Use of quotes.... for his own comments 🤨

Otherwise it is clear.

KiwiDrum knows drums
KiwiDrumDad is giving KiwiDrum nice old (semi-mental) drums. To own and to play.
Because nice KiwiDrumDad.
KiwiDrum doesn’t want KiwiDrumDad to be KiwiDrumlessDad, so wants to replace semi-mental drums with otherdrums - ideally ones with quite cheapness. But KiwiDrum doesn’t know the drum scene anymore because KIWI.

Easy.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:40 pm My confusion was more around unzippy’s
unconventional

Use of quotes.... for his own comments 🤨

Otherwise it is clear.

KiwiDrum knows drums
KiwiDrumDad is giving KiwiDrum nice old (semi-mental) drums. To own and to play.
KiwiDrum doesn’t want KiwiDrumDad to be KiwiDrumlessDad, so wants to replace semi-mental drums with otherdrums - ideally ones with quite cheapness. But KiwiDrum doesn’t know the drum scene anymore because KIWI.

Easy.
:lol:
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:40 pm KiwiDrum knows drums

Easy.
Yep, that. :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

@KiwiDave
Posting as I've seen a few of this guy's vids now - (usual caveat : to a non-drummer) he seems ridiculously skilled.

However - if you were ever looking for a lesson in "less is more", then this clip could probably meet that need. ;)

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I wish I could play the drums. I have an electronic drum kit (table top style that I have angled on a stand). Mainly got it to trigger samples through MIDI on a sampler app, as well as living out my rock drummer dreams in a very slow and out of time manner.

None of which is any help with any purchase recommendations.
Left over crest; tightens.
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:09 pm Posting as I've seen a few of this guy's vids now - (usual caveat : to a non-drummer) he seems ridiculously skilled.

However - if you were ever looking for a lesson in "less is more", then this clip could probably meet that need. ;)
Dude is crazy talented and impressively, it's through proper hard graft and work ethic too, there are apparently videos of him from early on where he was really shit, acknowledged it and openly committed to silly amounts of hard work, and now look. He's a great advert for just putting in the graft.

However, I fucking loathe the guy. Anyone who glamorises the macho bogan/chav/pleb weed smoking vibe as cool is an instant cock socket in my head. 12/10 would not show him the blindest bit of interest if I met him.

And you're right - there's a difference between being able to play anything with blinding technique and it sounding good. In this case, a big difference.
JonMad wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:37 pm I wish I could play the drums. I have an electronic drum kit (table top style that I have angled on a stand). Mainly got it to trigger samples through MIDI on a sampler app, as well as living out my rock drummer dreams in a very slow and out of time manner.

None of which is any help with any purchase recommendations.
Hand on heart, I think those table top style electronic kits would hinder you, rather than assist you in learning drums. Even if you started to get used to using one and getting results, the majority of the muscle memory you'd be learning would have to be undone as the mechanics of how you move around a normal kit are so different.

If you genuinely wanted to learn, you'd be hard pushed to find something more accessible than this. I hate advocating for Drumeo a lot of the time as the owner Jared is a Ned Flanders style Jesus bothering do-gooder, but he has done amazing things in allowing people to learn how to play and this new 30 day drummer thing they're doing is getting rave reviews.

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

KiwiDave wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:18 am
mik wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:09 pm Posting as I've seen a few of this guy's vids now - (usual caveat : to a non-drummer) he seems ridiculously skilled.

Dude is crazy talented and impressively, it's through proper hard graft and work ethic too, there are apparently videos of him from early on where he was really shit, acknowledged it and openly committed to silly amounts of hard work, and now look. He's a great advert for just putting in the graft.

However, I fucking loathe the guy. Anyone who glamorises the macho bogan/chav/pleb weed smoking vibe as cool is an instant cock socket in my head. 12/10 would not show him the blindest bit of interest if I met him.

And you're right - there's a difference between being able to play anything with blinding technique and it sounding good. In this case, a big difference.
I watched the video and his drumming seemed impressive, but at the same time I really didn't enjoy it. It sounded mechanical. Like he was rythmcally drumming, rather than playing a song.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

KiwiDave wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:18 am
JonMad wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:37 pm I wish I could play the drums. I have an electronic drum kit (table top style that I have angled on a stand). Mainly got it to trigger samples through MIDI on a sampler app, as well as living out my rock drummer dreams in a very slow and out of time manner.
Hand on heart, I think those table top style electronic kits would hinder you, rather than assist you in learning drums. Even if you started to get used to using one and getting results, the majority of the muscle memory you'd be learning would have to be undone as the mechanics of how you move around a normal kit are so different.

If you genuinely wanted to learn, you'd be hard pushed to find something more accessible than this. I hate advocating for Drumeo a lot of the time as the owner Jared is a Ned Flanders style Jesus bothering do-gooder, but he has done amazing things in allowing people to learn how to play and this new 30 day drummer thing they're doing is getting rave reviews.

Yeah, I understand the set up is not at all like a real kit. But it doesn't take up much space and is a cheap bit of fun. I've seen a few Drumeo videos and subscribed to their channel - some great content. Cheers for the recommendation!
Left over crest; tightens.