New Top Gear

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: New Top Gear

Post by Gavin »

Watched the first one last night, as always, it was better than most TV programs and a lot of it had me laughing of at least snorting with laughter.

Can't say I miss the Stig lap it was essentially filler.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:02 am The angle of the a-pillar is what ruins the Speedtail for me. It looks very upright and ruins the proportions. I thought it sounded a bit shit, too.
yeah, the glasshouse area looks amazing from above with the big teardrop shape, but from the front it looks a bit square (presumably to give the 3 passengers a view out?)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:17 pm Love it, especially the fixed wheel disks, would look. Water if the rear wasn't quite so long and pointy, more like the long tail F1s, but then it wouldn't be as slippery.

Lolled several times at the dirty rascal, and probably the first topgear in ten years the mrs has sat through with me.
I am not an aerodynamicicicist but I can't help but suspect that longtail is more about calling back to the LeMans longtails than being the best solution for low drag. I mean those rear wheels should be enclosed for an easy drag win before gluing an extra foot onto the back of a P1. Also spent the weekend streaming this battle at the Bathurst 12hour and they're deeply cool.

I've been down that 1:1 decent at Millbrook, you could not pay me enough to take something looking like that Rascal down it, you'd end up rolling all the way back to Marston.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

RobYob wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:50 am
integrale_evo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:17 pm Love it, especially the fixed wheel disks, would look. Water if the rear wasn't quite so long and pointy, more like the long tail F1s, but then it wouldn't be as slippery.

Lolled several times at the dirty rascal, and probably the first topgear in ten years the mrs has sat through with me.
I am not an aerodynamicicicist but I can't help but suspect that longtail is more about calling back to the LeMans longtails than being the best solution for low drag. I mean those rear wheels should be enclosed for an easy drag win before gluing an extra foot onto the back of a P1. Also spent the weekend streaming this battle at the Bathurst 12hour and they're deeply cool.

I've been down that 1:1 decent at Millbrook, you could not pay me enough to take something looking like that Rascal down it, you'd end up rolling all the way back to Marston.
So you'd be a Dizzy Ra... actually never mind. :shock:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Loved the Speedtail, including the noise.

Can't wait for McLaren to product an LT special edition ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Simon wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:52 am Loved the Speedtail, including the noise.

Can't wait for McLaren to product an LT special edition ;)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 am So you'd be a Dizzy Ra... actually never mind. :shock:
:lol:
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

RobYob wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:38 am
Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 am So you'd be a Dizzy Ra... actually never mind. :shock:
:lol:
This :lol:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Speedtail looked better in that colour.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I like the Speedtail, looks way better in that colour... of course it's no F1, but what is? That Rascal was way better than it had any right to be TBF, probably one of the best executed 'home made' cars I can remember on TG. :)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I loved the Dirty Rascal, it was like a mini Land Rover FC101.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:09 pm I loved the Dirty Rascal, it was like a mini Land Rover FC101.
It was almost good enough for people to copy, obviously not the glass folding doors and interior but the style just looked right.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:07 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:09 pm I loved the Dirty Rascal, it was like a mini Land Rover FC101.
It was almost good enough for people to copy, obviously not the glass folding doors and interior but the style just looked right.
plenty of converted 4x4 rascals and Suzuki carry’s about.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:27 pm
I’ve never seen one like that.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:43 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:27 pm

I’ve never seen one like that.
well they’re not quite “Nissan Qashqai common” admittedly, but they didn’t invent the concept!

I’m loving this little beasty!

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I'm not disputing you see them but you don't see any like that up here.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

One car where you’ll actually need the roll cage.
Did Paddy say it cost £8k? Reckon it must have many multiples of that unless you DIY it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:54 pm One car where you’ll actually need the roll cage.
Did Paddy say it cost £8k? Reckon it must have many multiples of that unless you DIY it.
I think he meant the bits cost £7k, putting it together was probably £10k+... maybe £30k+ when someone said “it’s for the beeb mate”

I did get a bit annoyed when they suggested the new Defender was £70k, actually it’s £70k if you throw every conceivable option and accessory at it, it’s a £40k car (less for the commercial 90), and that’s on air suspension, low range box, automatic, 4WD, off road tyres!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I did a project years ago round the corner from their old workshop in Didcot - all the old projects (stuff like the avantime track car and the stretched MGF) we’re parked in the yard. Not sure if they still use the same place to build the new stuff?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:57 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:54 pm One car where you’ll actually need the roll cage.
I think he meant the bits cost £7k, putting it together was probably £10k+... maybe £30k+ when someone said “it’s for the beeb mate”

I did get a bit annoyed when they suggested the new Defender was £70k, actually it’s £70k if you throw every conceivable option and accessory at it, it’s a £40k car (less for the commercial 90), and that’s on air suspension, low range box, automatic, 4WD, off road tyres!
Yeah there was no need to compare their home made 4x4 to the Defender as it would still be half the price of a base spec one. But at the end of the day it’s a different market too, I guess if you want something to modify that looks like a Defender you’ll buy an old Defender and not the new one.
How about not having a sig at all?