New Top Gear

Simon

New Top Gear

Post by Simon »

Does the commencement of a new series not even illicit a comment from you lot?

Good one yesterday I thought. Freddie was hugely brave to do that, and didn't the crane driver look a bit like Rowan Atkinson?

Rest of the program was good too.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: New Top Gear

Post by Rich B »

It was alright - entertaining enough with a few memorable bits like the bungee jump and the causeway crossing, but daft stuff like the bukkake driving didn’t help. Flintoff and Mcguiness continue to be awful (though Lifted by CH taking the piss out of their accents.)

The whole “and you can see the lap online” thing still isn’t doing them any favours though.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Atom review and Bungee aside, I thought it was rubbish. And yeah, the whole lube thing was worse than the worst old Top Gear...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Well I laughed out loud in several places. Atom looks bonkers.
Left over crest; tightens.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Lube section was cringe, but I bet kids loved it. Rest was decent enough. I like Chris. I like Paddy ( mostly thanks to Phoenix Nights and Max & Paddy), but I can't warm to Freddie's wooden presenting. He's ok in the films when being his natural self, but in the studio and voice overs. No. No no no.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

JonMad wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:54 am Well I laughed out loud in several places. Atom looks bonkers.
My 11 year old and I laughed like idiots.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:23 am
JonMad wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:54 am Well I laughed out loud in several places. Atom looks bonkers.
My 11 year old and I laughed like idiots.
I did a genuine lol when paddy shouted at Harris “Get to F....” CUT
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Simon wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:41 am Does the commencement of a new series not even illicit a comment from you lot?

Good one yesterday I thought. Freddie was hugely brave to do that, and didn't the crane driver look a bit like Rowan Atkinson?

Rest of the program was good too.
Er, have you seen Rowan Atkinson?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Crossed the cringe line too many times for my liking, and I'm usually pretty tolerant of the stupidity for "entertainment".

The whole roadtrip bit was pointless, the lube-squirting embarrassing, the wading pointless and ridiculous, and the bungy jump meh.

Maybe I was just in a crappy mood last night
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Kids loved it as did my dad (although he'd been on the whisky). I thought was OK and I really like the three of them as a presenting team.
Cheers,

Mike.
tim

Post by tim »

The bungee jump was mental - I had my heart in my mouth watching that - even though obvs you know it all worked out, it's still a fucking long way down. No ta.

The rest of it was pretty boring, which disappointed me greatly. For the first time ever I don't think I'll go out of my way to watch it live.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I didn’t think the Atom lap being online was an issue; it wasn’t representative on a cold wet winter day anyway.

Laughed too much at the lube. There seems more camaraderie and less bullying now which makes the atmosphere better.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Enjoyed it a lot.

I was looking at the Metro thinking what a shit respray - why did they bother.
Unless they picked it up cheap because of the shit paint job.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Same reason they removed the engine and stuck a black plate underneath rather than leaving a gaping hole, to make it look nice on tv.

It wasn't a metro either it was a Rover 100 😉
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

I enjoyed the Atom bit. Mostly 'cos it was an actual review, and I was spotting the differences to driving buddy Scott's supercharged v-tec previous gen model. New one sounded quite dull compared to the suitably hatstand full-throttle scream of his. Visibly more lock available for skids. It wasn't a major hardship to access the lap online - we can all do youchoob now - but whilst we all know the show isn't aimed at "our type" this feels pretty dismissive.

I did enjoy the Rover100 drop. Mostly 'cos I was amazed they'd convinced the authorities to let them do it, and there was clear and present fear involved. And quite rightly - it was stoopid.

The rest of the dicking-around stuff felt a bit more natural, but meh. Mostly 'cos just dicking around again. Oh Harris has drowned it in the water.... I wonder what the following Flintoff will do now? Surely he won't.... OMG he has. Well I never. Neither lube nor golf scenes pressed a laugh.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm about halfway through watching on my train journeys. I must admit to more sniggering than I usually get out of TG, especially the golf... that image of Harris running away in a dinosaur suit while being pelted with golf balls had me creasing up.

Atom review was great too, you're right mik, doesn't sound as bonkers as the last gen, but still great.

All in all, I'm happy with it so far.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Watched the Stig Atom lap... slidey. :)
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:01 am I enjoyed the Atom bit. Mostly 'cos it was an actual review, and I was spotting the differences to driving buddy Scott's supercharged v-tec previous gen model. New one sounded quite dull compared to the suitably hatstand full-throttle scream of his. Visibly more lock available for skids. It wasn't a major hardship to access the lap online - we can all do youchoob now - but whilst we all know the show isn't aimed at "our type" this feels pretty dismissive.

I did enjoy the Rover100 drop. Mostly 'cos I was amazed they'd convinced the authorities to let them do it, and there was clear and present fear involved. And quite rightly - it was stoopid.

The rest of the dicking-around stuff felt a bit more natural, but meh. Mostly 'cos just dicking around again. Oh Harris has drowned it in the water.... I wonder what the following Flintoff will do now? Surely he won't.... OMG he has. Well I never. Neither lube nor golf scenes pressed a laugh.
Scott looked at buying a new atom to replace the 2 Eleven. Three year waiting list for one. Hence now looking at 3 Elevens.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Do we know who the current Stig is?