Kobe Bryant

dinny_g

Kobe Bryant

Post by dinny_g »

Yup...

Helicopter crash... 41 years old. Horrible way to go
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Re: Kobe Bryant

Post by NotoriousREV »

Apparently his 13 year old daughter was killed too. His wife and 3 other kids weren’t on board.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

When will top sports stars stop fucking around with helicopters?
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep they seem to be the biggest killer of famous people after drugs.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

His 13 year old daughter was with him.. :(
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
mik

Post by mik »

Due the the way that twitter doesn't work, I can no longer find the tweets :roll: , but Trump is using this situation to again demonstrate what a disgusting human being he is.

- Obama posts nice message of support to Bryant's wife
- Trump posts factual message.
- Obama's tweet receives a lot of "likes". Trumps doesn't.
- Trump posts subsequent message which is pretty much a carbon copy of Obama's original.

Bizzare. :?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Gwaredd wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:23 pm When will top sports stars stop fucking around with helicopters?
Must be the most dangerous form of transport per person per mile.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:17 am Due the the way that twitter doesn't work, I can no longer find the tweets :roll: , but Trump is using this situation to again demonstrate what a disgusting human being he is.

- Obama posts nice message of support to Bryant's wife
- Trump posts factual message.
- Obama's tweet receives a lot of "likes". Trumps doesn't.
- Trump posts subsequent message which is pretty much a carbon copy of Obama's original.

Bizzare. :?
Trumps tweets have ~200k likes each. Obama’s has over 3 million. I hope that really pisses Trump off 😂
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I've never liked helicopters :( and I'd only get into one if my life depended upon it and I had no other choice. Truly horrific for the family.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Agreed - it isn't a mode of transport I would want to use as more than a one off.
mik

Post by mik »

Helicopters are CAF - I love them. 😎

Helicopter flying lesson a very humbling experience.

But yeah - some failure modes make recovery very difficult / impossible
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Sad story. I'm not going to say its in anyway fact, but a few on Reddit claimed the flight tracker showed some rapid descent so they seemed to suggest mechanical failure. I suppose at least with a plane you've got some level of 'glide'.

Still, choppers are still safer than cars, it seems - also chopper stats are skewed because they're frequently used in dangerous situations.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Matty wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:29 pm Still, choppers are still safer than cars, it seems - also chopper stats are skewed because they're frequently used in dangerous situations.
Have you got any stats to back that up? I remember I tried to look it up once but couldn't find anything that covered fatality per person/mile convincingly.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just seen on the news that some of the transcript has been released. Pilot was warned he was too low and then crashed into the side of the hill so sounds like pilot error.
How about not having a sig at all?
tim

Post by tim »

Helicopters wil glide - the spinning rotor disc acts like a wing. Obvs not as far as a plane but it's not strictly engine out drop like a stone. Tail rotor failure is another issue altogether mind.

I've auto-rotated a chopper, it was fun. Although to be fair I did have the knowledge the engine was still going it it started to be less fun.

In any case, a tragic situation. I noted on twatter last night some people were complaining about the outpourings of grief because <insert their favourite sports person death> wasn't as widely publicised as this person they'd never heard of.

I hate people.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:40 pm Just seen on the news that some of the transcript has been released. Pilot was warned he was too low and then crashed into the side of the hill so sounds like pilot error.
That’s not accurate. The pilot was told 30 minutes prior the crash that he was too low to be picked up on radar at that point and he climbed from that position as per the filed flight plan.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Matty

Post by Matty »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:38 pm
Matty wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:29 pm Still, choppers are still safer than cars, it seems - also chopper stats are skewed because they're frequently used in dangerous situations.
Have you got any stats to back that up? I remember I tried to look it up once but couldn't find anything that covered fatality per person/mile convincingly.
Well, it's the internet, so who knows how factful it is, but I was reading this one:
https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/are-hel ... nd-trains/
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

The day I went for my Cesna flying lesson I watched one of those little 2-seaters (Mosquito??) get into awful trouble 6 foot off the runway - lifted, wobbled like crazy, then started spinning. He just about got it back down on the deck (with a fairly big bump), but it was enough to make me glad I was going up in something with wings.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Matty

Post by Matty »

For those interested, this is a very articulate witness statement:

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I may have something in my eye...