NotoriousREV

Re: 2019 - A Year In Review & Plans for 2020

Post by NotoriousREV »

My plans for 2019 were:

Fix the GSXR again and do more trackdays
Monaco GP is booked
Italian lakes for our summer holiday
Run 10k
Figure out what I want to do when I grow up because I don’t really want to do the job I’ve essentially been doing for the last 15 years anymore.

I didn’t fix my GSXR but I did do a couple of track days on my KTM.

I did go to the Monaco GP and we also spent 10 days mooching about on the French Riviera which was awesome.

We did go on holiday in the Italian lakes, which was also awesome.

I didn’t run 10k. In fact I barely ran at all. I need to pick that back up, but I did lose a shitload more weight. I’m probably healthier than I’ve been for a couple of decades.

I still don’t really know what I want to do when I grow up, but I quit my job in May and have loved having most of the year off. It’s helped with my mental health incredibly. I’m hoping to have a job by the end of Jan which is in my area of expertise but sufficiently different to what I’ve done in the past to be interesting. We’ll see.

My attitude to life right now is to do more of what I enjoy, cut out shit that doesn’t move me forward in some way and reduce my living expenses and save like a mad bastard (without compromising my lifestyle too much in terms of enjoyment) so that I can retire ASAP.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Get a new job. Desperately, desperately need a new job. That's it.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Oh, and I bought a 911.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

2020 - may go back towards full time employment as the kids can fend for themselves after school for an hour now. Anything but sales...
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Last year Nefarious wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:17 am I really can't moan about 2018. In retrospect, it will maybe be remembered as the year when it all started to come together:
- The property count reached double figures with a nice little project in February (mean flat, but great yield, and came with a free garage :-)). Critical mass has really helped calm my anxiety over the true long-term sustainability of my "retirement". Experience gained has also allowed me to start doing contract jobs too, which are fun, easy and give a nice bit of pocket money.
- The racing podiums started to come. Who'd've thought that it might be tricky for a couple of 30-something blokes with no experience to turn up and beat pro teams in factory-supported cars? Well, now five years in, and unlikely as it may seem, it's starting to happen.
- I finally made some proper progress with the climbing. After a couple of years stuck around the 6b level, I decided that a bigger effort was required. Helped by the best partner I've ever had, by July I was touching 7a level, which really opens up lots of exciting outdoor opportunities. Unfortunately, a couple of injuries later in the year saw things slide a bit, but even that's got a silver lining, as it's got me into pilates and a far better understanding of how my body actually works (including why MMA fighting isn't the sport for me ;-)).
- My friend got better. I've watched my good friend Barry (ex-racing team manager who I share garage space with) deteriorate in his health quite significantly over the last couple of years. Twice I've seen him taken away in ambulances with suspected heart attacks, and seen him spend long periods too tired to even make it out of his own flat - but the quacks just couldn't get to the bottom of it. In December this year, some bright spark took another look at his ECGs and realised it was an electrical problem. He had a pacemaker fitted (under local, in a morning), and was at a gym class three days later.

Plans for 2019:
Well, I'm just going to take it as it comes. Opportunities for fun and productive shit seem to be flowing quite readily at the moment. Cars, boats, and hovercraft will all undoubtedly feature and I've every intention of getting back to where I was on the climbing wall once I shake a niggling elbow issue. Will definitely do some more contract building work. I've had some interest from the hovercraft company to develop a turbocharged version of their standard engine, which would be entertaining for a few weeks if it comes off. Who knows, but bring it on ;-)
Well, some of that happened, some less so.
Big feature of the year was a massive contract job - bare brick renovation of am Edwardian house. 19 weeks working on it before it all went a bit sour at the end when the client ran out of money. Bit sad not to have got the "wow" moment at the end (stopped with 10 days to go), and it's never nice to leave a personal relationship on less than amicable terms, but it was ridiculously lucrative, and gained loads of new skills and experience.
Racing went pretty well this year too - 2nd place in the championship with a couple of outright wins - far better than could really have been hoped for really, and unlikely to ever be matched (if I'm honest about my true skill level!). Still, it's nice to be able to mark it up in the history books and tell the grandkids I was at least once competent.
Climbing hasn't been fantastic - I've been pretty much entirely without a decent partner - but at least I've maintained a level around the 6b+/6c mark, so maybe 2020 will be the year the 7a finally tumbles
Hovercraft and boat still has been a bit of a damp squib, TBH. After all the hype and excitement at the beginning of the year, the arctic trip is looking decreasingly likely to ever happen. Mostly because TV people are money-grabbing, lying cunts who would happily see me drown/freeze if it made for better ratings. Shame after so much effort has been expended on it, but I'm still looking forward to getting the Big Red Bastard running properly and scooting across the Firth of Forth for fish and chips.

I guess 2020 will be more of the same. Got some ideas for next season's racing, so maybe I can maintain my competitiveness. Got some vague plans around other property stuff which may or may not come to anything depending on luck and money. Need to keep on top of the fitness/activity thing, as motivation has slipped a bit in recent months. We'll just have to see how it goes...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I fucked up really badly right at the end of the year so at least I ended the year the way I started it :lol:.

Come to the realisation that I’m probably an alcoholic and I need to work on getting my shit together. So that’ll be this year I guess.
An absolute unit
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Got my first 2020 10k out of the way this morning, with a decent PB! Smug mode engaged.

Generally 2020 will be pushing my fitness further, stay gainfully employed, pay off mortgage end of April. Something about being a good husband & dad, too :lol:
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:48 pm I fucked up really badly right at the end of the year so at least I ended the year the way I started it :lol:.

Come to the realisation that I’m probably an alcoholic and I need to work on getting my shit together. So that’ll be this year I guess.
True Scotsman ;)
M235i
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Only achieved 1 of my 3 targets for 2019 so I’ll roll the other 2 into 2020 and plan what’s next once they’re done.

Should be finished by end of Feb
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I'll join the get a new job bandwagon along with needing to GTFO of contracting with the new disguised employment arsehattery coming in March.

If I work hard might get to Brown belt in Karate by the end of the year which hopefully will set me on course for Black sometime in 2022 :shock:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I can't be arsed to look back at 2019 but for 2020 it goes as follows and in no particular order.

New home a little nearer the family and somewhere we can walk to shops, pubs, restaurants etc...
Promotion and more income
Get MX5 back on the road (been far too long!)
Get fitter and lose weight
Spank the M140i some more!! Hopefully a good blat around Scotland.
Nice family holidays
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The last year was financially very good, paid off a load of debt, put some savings away and finally am not stressed about money. It was a struggle work wise though so I need a bit more variety now.

Car wise I think the ML will stay for another year, I still really enjoy it but am still thinking about GLs and G Wagons.

The TT will get some little bits and pieces otherwise will stay the same.

The Defender will get new side boxes and more bits and bobs.

The 500e will hopefully get a slot for a full underbody overhaul and then a full respray. Then I want a mini tour with the wife, dinner in Monaco, breakfast in Slovenia, lunch in Switzerland kind of thing. Then I have a few plans for trips with the kids as I’m thinking I’ll look at selling it in 2021 as I fancy something like an Atom or Nomad.

Still training for a deadlift PB and generally getting stronger.

Aslong as the wife and kids keep wanting me around :D

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

2019 in review - I realised I just worked and needed a life outside. I remembered I used to have hobbies and so forth and they had fallen by the wayside, in spite of how important they were in blotting work out of my head. Hence: Boxster and a few other bits and bobs too, including coming back to evo fora.

2020 ahead:

Work - finish the PhD: need to spend more time recruiting joe public to take part in studies and less trying to dream up future projects

Health - running is going well but need to broaden my horizons and join a gym

Money - stop going to Pret for lunch
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Also I feel I should learn something about coding. In code.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I can't remember what I said for last year. I don't think I'll want much to change, frankly. I'll try to do more exercise (now have a turbo trainer) and advance my career, but I'm also very comfortable and my work fits our needs very well (very little travel, WFH most weeks, flexibility to do what I want). Basically just look after the family!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I didn’t think 2019 was going to be a big year but it’s been just as interesting as 2018. Looking back at the old thread I talked about being made up as a partner, and being under-appreciated; well, I did get made up but the firm was bought out and is now part of a PLC so I’m still just an employee really. My other plans about going it alone fell into place and I’m buying my father’s practice off him this year, meaning that he can retire and I will be in charge of a fully-formed law firm, avoiding the risks of setting up from scratch.

2019 was also the year I took up green-laning, which I love both because it gets me exploring the countryside in a new way, and because of the legal intricacies of rights of way. I’ve probably put on a few pounds though, because I’d previously have cycled the same routes 😄

2019 also involved:
Getting planning permission for our extension
Getting rid of almost all the ivy from the front of the house (two years after buying it)
Going to NYC for the first time
Going to the Isle of Mull
Going to the Edinburgh Fringe
Walking around most of the landscape visible from our bedroom window, again after looking at it for 2 years

Fingers crossed 2020 is as successful. Will be more car buying at least!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:48 pm Come to the realisation that I’m probably an alcoholic and I need to work on getting my shit together. So that’ll be this year I guess.
If its any help you aren't unless you get out of bed and need alcohol to function. There's drinking too much and having a dependency - you probably are the former so just drink less. I have months off no problems then I drink too much and feel shite but I'm not addicted. As you get older it gets worse. Anyway good luck.

As for this year - no idea - will see what if brings. 8-)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Nah, I can’t control how much I drink. I did something incredibly shitty at the weekend when I was hammered. It’s not the first time but it’s almost certainly the worst thing I’ve done.

I’m not physically dependent on it but I’ve always used it to self medicate my anxiety in a very unhealthy way.

Probably better for me if I just don’t. I’m sure it’ll be easy when I can stop thinking about it all the time :lol:.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

I enjoy a drink, but I try to avoid situations where it flows freely because I also have zero self control. Same goes for sex/drugs/rock'n'roll when the rare opportunity arises, but those are rare opportunities indeed and they are often linked to drinking too much anyway, so multiple birds with one stone etc :lol:

So I avoid free bars when I can (driving to the event helps), and I give short shrift to people who try to buy me an alcoholic drink when I asked for something soft/a coffee/etc (driving to the event helps - gives you a solid excuse to tell them just plain no), and I only buy what I intend to drink in any session - so a bottle of wine, a couple of beers, etc.

I don't keep booze in the house because I can't keep booze in the house, because it gets necked.

My drinking isn't really a problem any more.

And yeah, doing shitty things when wasted was one of the reasons I cut back a lot, too, oddly. I'd rather get stoned, but it just gives me anxiety these days, bah.