Star Gazing on the Canaries?

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Star Gazing on the Canaries?

Post by Gavin »

Morning, has anyone ever been up to any of the observatories on the Canary Islands and if so which one/how etc?

Took my better half to Kielder but as with pretty much every trip to a dark skies area, cloud cover was total. Thought we would have better luck somewhere less cloudy and have a holiday at the same time.
dinny_g

Re: Star Gazing on the Canaries?

Post by dinny_g »

Cool idea Gav, like it.

Lanzarote of mainly developed round the coast In the south so I’d imagine all you’d need is a car to drive to somewhere quiet. Or Peñas del Chache which is the main star gazing site

Would you bring your own kit ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Been up to the one on Tenerife. You’re above the clouds and well away from light pollution, too. It’s a bit disorientating, to be honest. Space is big. Really big.

I should say, we didn’t get to use their telescopes but we did visit on one of their open days. I’m sure it was very interesting if you spoke Spanish.

If you just want to look at stars, just drive up the main road that goes over Mt Teide.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Cheers, hunting around now and seems like a daytime tour is easy enough but no night time access to the big telescopes. Seem to be a few places can do night trips up with binoculars which would probably be spot on.

Only been to Tennerife once before and we stayed just up the hill from Playa las Americas but wasn't our thing, would rather go cycling, running or climbing or similar to just lying by a pool getting pished.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

There’s loads to do on Tenerife. My brothers live there and take tourists paragliding. Loads of hiking and mountain bike trails etc. The pine forests are beautiful.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We stayed at the Marina in Playa Blanca (on Lanzarote)

Would go again...
Last edited by dinny_g on Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Cool, I went diving for the first time there, given I grew up wanting to be Cousteau it seems odd it took me so long but fancy doing that as well.

In-laws have offered to take the kids for a week and said kids are delighted so a nice way to celebrate 18 years married.

Sounds like we might be best to find half board and hire a wee car to get out to hiking spots. Cheers
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

If you fancy hurling yourself off a mountain, strapped to one of my brothers and a big table cloth, let me know :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Ha ha! I would love to, my dear wife is terrified of heights though!

I am now looking at Majorca and doing some diving as a possibility...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Have you been watching the repeat of The Planets this holiday by any chance Gav?? ;)
Last edited by dinny_g on Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

No, just something I have a mild interest in, my brother is a keen astronomer and used to attend astro camps etc, it was an excellent excuse to stay out late so I chummed him and my other half also has an interest and we live near Kielder dark sky and D&G but we have had astronomically bad luck with cloud cover every time we try...
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Must admit I thought this might be a drugs reference when I spotted the thread title... :oops:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Everything Rev said. Tenerife is great and it’s only 4 hours away so a Friday night flight after work/long weekends are achievable.

From the times I’ve been there’s definitely more than enough activity stuff on the island to outweigh the folk wanting a pool holiday.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Marv

Post by Marv »

Gavin wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:47 pm No, just something I have a mild interest in, my brother is a keen astronomer and used to attend astro camps etc, it was an excellent excuse to stay out late so I chummed him and my other half also has an interest and we live near Kielder dark sky and D&G but we have had astronomically bad luck with cloud cover every time we try...
First time I visited New Zealand back in 2012, I went to one of their observatories on a mountain in the South Island. Was lucky enough to have a wonderfully clear sky, no moon out that night either. Was bloody cold, but was a brilliant thing to do 😎
Oui, je suis un motard.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

We now appear to be going to Malta to do some diving...