Rise of Skywalker (with spoilers)

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Rise of Skywalker (with spoilers)

Post by Gavin »

Are we happy enough with a thread to talk about the film? Even the dumbest among us should be able to discern the contents of the thread?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Rise of Skywalker (with spoilers)

Post by Rich B »

There is a movie thread already.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Sounds good to me.

WTAF were they doing with the Carrie Fisher stuff? Don't know where to start with that.

What was Charlie from Lost doing in it?

What was the point of The Last Jedi if they were going to undo so many things which were done in that movie. A TV series has time to make it up on the hoof a bit and write themselves in to corners (Breaking Bad) because they can come up with clever ways to weave the plot around them. This approach doesn't work on what was supposed to be a trilogy with some coherent structure and narrative.

Fan service is ok and can be really enjoyable when done subtly like in Avengers. Some of the things in this seemed to be taking right from reddit rants about the other two. Chewie doesn't bat an eyelid when Han dies but falls to his knees and has a breakdown when Leia goes? He did get his meal at last.

How mentally fast was the pacing?

There's people analysing its gender politics (as usual), but when they're complaining that characters from the last movie have been cast aside, when exactly did they think they were going to fit in a section letting us learn all about Rose Tico from Last Jedi? They also seemed to hate that the lesbian kiss wasn't given an entire sub-plot of its own where we could get to learn all about these characters first.

Horses in space? Cool.

How did The Emperor survive ROTJ?

Force healing is now a thing?

Last Jedi jokes - we want to do what Marvel does. Rise of Skywalker jokes - dad jokes he got from a cracker.

Score was good.

Lightsabre fights were really well done I thought.

I still really enjoyed it, as did the kids.
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:33 am What was Charlie from Lost doing in it?
Signposting how close they were from pulling a Lost style “oh it was all a dream” ending. I just don’t understand how hard it is to know you are making a trilogy and seemingly fail to plan an overarching plot. It felt like they made the whole thing up in a panic. Not only shoe-horning in Palpatine (“hey, people love it when old characters come back!”) but retconning Rey’s parents to fit in and then sailing a whole fleet through the plot hole in order to give him importance. And fair enough ramping up Rey’s powers but since when could Palps conjure that much force lightning?

In spite of this I enjoyed it and would watch it again.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:47 am There is a movie thread already.
I thought people might not want spoilers unless in a clearly marked thread.

Yes, there are a few plot holes. It felt like the Rise of Skywalker was attempting to wipe out the negativity over the first two.

It was an enjoyable romp, of course there are inconsistencies but it is escapism, pure and simple.

I suspect Disney having had problems with writers and directors etc should maybe have had the trilogy written before starting to make them though! :)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Red Letter Media have been on it. Sounds....messy.

NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Enjoyed it. It’s a kids film, it isn’t deep, it’s just supposed to be a romp where the goodies win. Which they did. Yay!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Also, Rey’s mum is Villainelle, who is Palpatine’s daughter? Yep, that makes sense :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:59 pm Enjoyed it. It’s a kids film, it isn’t deep, it’s just supposed to be a romp where the goodies win. Which they did. Yay!
RIC
Oui, je suis un motard.