Warm Coat

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Warm Coat

Post by Gavin »

Totally EVO I know but my warmest jacket is a manky old high vis job that my wife despises. It is OK for walking the kids to school but despite owning a fair number of jackets, I don't actually have a proper warm one.

I had a look at Fjall Raven as I have some of their kit and it lasts forever but they are soooo expensive, anyone any recommendations?

I am fancying longer than bum height with large hood type...
mik

Re: Warm Coat

Post by mik »

Eldest miklet has one of these in Orange (but less out-there colours available)

Down filled - very warm.

Great price for what it is.

trespass DLX
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’ve had a couple of zips go in a short space of time on Trespass stuff. My current “big coat” that I use for standing around watching youngest REVling’s football practice is a Tog24 parka which I like a lot, other than the hood being too big for walking around with as it restricts my vision so it’s not easy crossing roads. Watching footy in it’s great, though. Like being in a personal, upright tent.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've got a below the bum Jack Wolfskin one. It is plenty warm and big enough that I can layer up underneath if needed.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

TOG24 is considerably cheaper than I expected! Am off to Edinburgh tomorrow so will have a nose around the shops. I am pretty sure Jack Wolfskin will be dear, I remember looking in their York shop and everything was one million dollars!

Cheers chaps.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I love down filled, sooo warm, I’m on my second Berghaus but they have both had the same issue with the zips not fastening properly at the bottom resulting in the coming apart and being an absolute twat to sort!
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Hmm, my Berghaus goretex jacket has lasted well, it is 12 or 13 years old now and like new apart from the waist elastic tie things, they have lost elasticity but the zips are spot on still.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I bought the wife a Didriksons down parka and it's superb. Very high quality. I have a nice jack wolfskin insulated "big coat" which is great. I don't like hoods and prefer a wooly hat. The North Face stuff lasts well IMO too.

Always some interesting stuff and bargains on www.alpinetrek.co.uk or www.sportpursuit.com

I've bought Mrs McSwede a really nice Salomon insulated jacket for Crimbo from sport pursuit.
scotta

Post by scotta »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:13 pm I’ve had a couple of zips go in a short space of time on Trespass stuff. My current “big coat” that I use for standing around watching youngest REVling’s football practice is a Tog24 parka which I like a lot, other than the hood being too big for walking around with as it restricts my vision so it’s not easy crossing roads. Watching footy in it’s great, though. Like being in a personal, upright tent.
Likewise with trespass and their after sales is fucking awful. I won’t buy another. Mountain warehouse stuff is much better.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Gavin wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:27 am I am fancying longer than bum height with large hood type...
You are Liam Gallagher AICMFP.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Foz

Post by Foz »

I bought a hardly used Canada Goose off a colleague recently, great quality. I was sick of getting chilled to the bone watching the kids play football.

You can get good deals on eBay, the RRP is frightening!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You get twats commenting about animal cruelty though, at least in London :roll:
Don’t think I’ll bother with another but I’m not sure what else is as warm, I’ve worn mine with a just a shirt in -10 no problem.
How about not having a sig at all?
Foz

Post by Foz »

I got the piss ripped incessantly in the garage at Anglesey during race of remembrance but I was warm so 😂
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I’d certainly vote Canada Goose - had a loan of one when I was over in Boston and loved it.

My warm coat back here is a Barbour with a zip in lining though.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Only problem with Canada Goose is that every twat in town seems to be wearing them and that makes me not want to.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

McSwede wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:56 pm Only problem with Canada Goose is that every twat in town seems to be wearing them and that makes me not want to.
I don't see them anymore. Even the chavs stopped wearing them last year

The E46 of coats
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Moved on to Moncler thankfully.
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:06 pm Moved on to Moncler thankfully.
Never heard of that over priced tat before. 😂 Down filled bin liners 😂

A fool and their money.........
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Loving my Marmot this year. Light and very warm.