Steak Dinners

DeskJockey

Steak Dinners

Post by DeskJockey »

ND (well, obviously the cow is).

Just had a 40 day aged sirloin done halfway between blue and rare. Oh my! Served with roast veg and some mustard, can't go wrong there. Not had steak in at least a year, so felt a proper treat too.

I'd been craving it for a couple of weeks, then finally gave in while at the butcher's today. Went down well with a glass of red for accompaniment.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Carlos

Re: Steak Dinners

Post by Carlos »

You must have a great butcher. Our local rarely has aged cuts even though I ask.

Life is too short to wait a year for the next one 😉
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

A year! You’re not listening to that Greta troll are you?
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Carlos wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:44 pm You must have a great butcher. Our local rarely has aged cuts even though I ask.

Life is too short to wait a year for the next one 😉
We do. I can highly recommend Carnivore in Bromley, although perhaps a bit of a schlep for you.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:47 pm A year! You’re not listening to that Greta troll are you?
We've generally cut back on meat, especially red meat over the last few years. We buy high welfare, high quality and choose more carefully. Partly for environmental reasons, partly health. Most of it I don't miss, but good steak done right is hard to beat.
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:51 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:47 pm A year! You’re not listening to that Greta troll are you?
We've generally cut back on meat, especially red meat over the last few years. We buy high welfare, high quality and choose more carefully. Partly for environmental reasons, partly health. Most of it I don't miss, but good steak done right is hard to beat.
All the above, high quality meat cooked well is just perfect.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Most of the meat stuff is fictional shite, if you buy British grass fed beef it’s actually helping the environment. The war on farmers is beyond stupid...
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I eat steak pretty much every week. I don't see the point in denying yourself something you enjoy for a year.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I haven't denied myself steak for a year, just eaten other things instead. Now that we've got a proper butcher, it's worth the odd treat.
---
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:20 pm Most of the meat stuff is fictional shite, if you buy British grass fed beef it’s actually helping the environment. The war on farmers is beyond stupid...
Harry M tweeted a bit about the the BBC cutting a piece on the environmental benefits of grass fed cattle (as the bulk of UK Beef is) this week.

I know a few farmers in Mid Wales who farm Beef and Lamb on land that is ex mining/industrial and the transformation of the landscape in 20yrs is amazing.
Barry

Post by Barry »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:21 pm I eat steak pretty much every week. I don't see the point in denying yourself something you enjoy for a year.
I've cut back a little as I used to have a steak most weekends, but yeah, a little red meat is good for you. I find even the typical aged sirloins in supermarkets are fine, at a push.
evostick

Post by evostick »

I eat 30 day aged steak about 3x a week. We go into waitrose about 7pm after an habitual trip to my favourite pub* and very often get good fillet or ribeye with the yellow label of joy on it for about £15/kilo

If we go the the other pub then we take a trip to the farm shop. The steak's usually a little better but it ain't cheap. They do give us a good deal sometimes though.

I do this mainly for health and environmental reasons.

*I am currently unable to enjoy my favourite pub due political reasons. Namely he fucking VOTE LABOUR posters that the misguided landlord has emblazoned across the place. It's a shame because he gets everything else right and I sadly note that my cost of living has risen just by the remote possibility of a labour govt :x
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Anyone got any particularly clever or innovative accompaniment/sauce recommendations?
My classic is with a potato dauphoise, candied carrots and a port butter sauce.
Recently been doing a chimichurri sauce with roasted sweet pots in a tomato and chipotle rub.
Blue cheese and caramelized red onions, on sourdough toast is pretty good too.
Damn - making myself hungry now ;)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm all for the classics. Something potato, mustard and another seasonal side.
---
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Chips.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 am I'm all for the classics. Something potato, mustard and another seasonal side.
Beat me to it, I'm happy with simple veg and a mustard. I tend to season with salt and pepper first too.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Barry wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:00 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 am I'm all for the classics. Something potato, mustard and another seasonal side.
Beat me to it, I'm happy with simple veg and a mustard. I tend to season with salt and pepper first too.
Sounds about right! In lieu of mustard I could be convinced to use chrein (freshly grated horseradish mixed with a bit of beetroot juice for colour). It should be vivid pink and blow the top of your head off.
---
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Smoked Garlic Butter...

Mmmmmmmm...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

As well as being a “don’t overcook steaks” nazi, I’m also a devout anti-sauce nazi when it comes to steak. Mustard is allowed/encouraged, as is a light “gravy” of melted butter mixed with the juices.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Chips, onion rings, peas and some peppercorn sauce for dipping.

I like steak because it's steak, no point trying to dress it up with overly fancy sides.
Cheers, Harry