Steak Dinners

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Steak Dinners

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Chimichurri is my favourite with steak. I'd rather that than mustard. Otherwise I'd have it plain served in it's own buttery basted juices.

With chips. And a slice of buttered bread obvs. Chip butties dipped in steak juices are awesome.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:04 pm As well as being a “don’t overcook steaks” nazi, I’m also a devout anti-sauce nazi when it comes to steak. Mustard is allowed/encouraged, as is a light “gravy” of melted butter mixed with the juices.
Yep, I’m with you on that one Rev. Although I like roasting cherry tomatoes garlic with balsamic so the meat juice, garlic butter and balsamic combo’s to die for.

I’ve just gone and bought some fillet... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I was always a fan of basting the steak in butter at the end of cooking then crumbling a bit of Roquefort over it.

Not had steak or Roquefort in more than a year. Probably miss the cheese more than the steak tbh :lol:.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Nefarious wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:54 am Recently been doing a chimichurri sauce with roasted sweet pots in a tomato and chipotle rub.
Are you on deliveroo? :) That sounds ace.

Generally speaking I'm a plain with a bit of seasoning and chips kind of guy.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Smoked sea salt to season before cooking on the griddle pan gives a hint of that charcoal taste 😎

I'm off down the butchers before they close 😃
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Nefarious wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:54 am Anyone got any particularly clever or innovative accompaniment/sauce recommendations?
My classic is with a potato dauphoise, candied carrots and a port butter sauce.
Recently been doing a chimichurri sauce with roasted sweet pots in a tomato and chipotle rub.
Blue cheese and caramelized red onions, on sourdough toast is pretty good too.
Damn - making myself hungry now ;)

I'm a sucker for béarnaise sauce. I like dauphinoise potatoes or sweet potato mash and some roasted veg. Chimichurri is awesome with steak too.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Untarnished with butter, taters with garlic and some samphire as the baby Jesus intended.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:07 pm Untarnished with butter, taters with garlic and some samphire as the baby Jesus intended.
Quite sure he didn't eat steak and certainly didn't have access to potatoes.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Oh come on, cows and potatoes must have been around for thousands of years.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:55 pm Oh come on, cows and potatoes must have been around for thousands of years.
Yes. However potatoes are native to the Americas and didn't come to the rest of the world until Columbus brought them back. Also, given Jesus's background chances are that any cattle his family would have had access to would be cherished for dairy, not steak. And finally, as he grew up Jewish, mixing dairy (butter in case you need it clarified) and meat is a no-no.
---
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hmm, how about a slice of Buffalo meat with a yam then :lol:

Didn’t realise about the dairy rule. Must say I don’t really know what is it isn’t kosher.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

If he can come back from being dead I'm pretty sure he could have magiced up some spuds
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:15 pm If he can come back from being dead I'm pretty sure he could have magiced up some spuds
I suppose, if you believe the Mormons, he could have brought them back when he went to America.
---
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:43 pm
Nefarious wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:54 am Recently been doing a chimichurri sauce with roasted sweet pots in a tomato and chipotle rub.
Are you on deliveroo? :) That sounds ace.

Generally speaking I'm a plain with a bit of seasoning and chips kind of guy.
Easy peasy. Chimichurri is just coriander, parsley, red onion and chilli, roughly chopped with red wine vinegar and olive oil to loose paste consistency, plus salt and pepper.
The tomato and chipotle rub comes out of a packet, but some sort of mix of smoked paprika, cumin and onion powder would do just as well. Start the sweet pots in the microwave, cover in butter and salt and bake whole for 30 mins or so. Then dice and cover with the rub and bang em back in for 30-40.
Serve with a robust salad and sour cream.

Just one note on the steak itself - I'm a big fan of using salt to draw out additional moisture from meat. It tenderises and helps the mailard reaction (more meaty, caramelly flavours). Start a few hours before cooking, pat thoroughly dry with kitchen roll and cover generously with salt. When you're ready to cook, pat thoroughly dry again, lightly oil and cook in a dry pan.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

And just to annoy you non-saucers, here are a few other tried and tested awesome offerings:
Camembert and truffle cream sauce
Diane sauce (black pepper, mushrooms, brandy, beef stock, cream)
Stilton and stout
Dijon butter/cream sauce and a poached egg (with sauted pots)
Puy lentils, carrots and leeks in chicken stock, served with baked potatoes and garlic creme fraise
With sauted onions and peppers in a mustard chilli sauce, served with deep fried sweet potato wedges
Lemon caper brown butter sauce, with sauted pots and white asparagus
Steak stuffed with smoked oysters in a hot cucumber and wild garlic sauce
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I don’t apply any seasoning until AFTER the initial sear.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:45 pm I don’t apply any seasoning until AFTER the initial sear.
Not "seasoning" as such - the salt draws out a load of water and then gets mopped up with the kitchen roll. Final result doesn't taste salty at all, and still needs seasoning at the end.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Nef is correct Dinny.

Let the steak come up to room temperature and salt it before you start cooking is the way to go. It tenderises the meat and really helps with the browning on the sear.

Also as Carlos says, using smoked salt does make a difference if you’re using a pan.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 pm Nef is correct Dinny.

Let the steak come up to room temperature and salt it before you start cooking is the way to go. It tenderises the meat and really helps with the browning on the sear.

Also as Carlos says, using smoked salt does make a difference if you’re using a pan.
Don’t worry Zed, I know how to cook a steak... ;)

@Nef - why should I try to draw moisture out of the meat before cooking?? Serious question. I know you know what you’re talking about...
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:15 pm If he can come back from being dead I'm pretty sure he could have magiced up some spuds
This made me laugh more than it should of. JESUS BREAKS ALL THE RULES!

I'm very simple when it comes to steak. Part dry, bit of salt, bit of pepper, Fry it hot and fast, let it rest for a few minutes, then fucking devour it.

No sides as when I get steak, it's typically a big one that fills the plate.