Vitamin D

NotoriousREV

Vitamin D

Post by NotoriousREV »

For a few years now I’ve struggled with aching hips and lower back, to the point where moving from sitting to standing or vice versa was very painful, and it would take a few minutes of walking around to regain a decent range of motion.

I’ve tried physio, stretches, running, losing weight etc to help with it, but nothing has managed to get rid of the pain until now.

I decided to take vitamin D this winter just because I hate this time of year and figured it couldn’t hurt. Within days of starting taking them, my hips have stopped hurting completely and no stiffness or weakness, either. My back is also a lot better, too. I was able to stand for an hour without backache last week watching my youngest play football (normally I have to sit after about 15 mins because my back hurts so much).

It turns out that lower back pain, aching and weak muscles are all symptoms of vitamin d deficiency. NHS current advice is that most people in the uk should probably be taking vitamin d supplements. Do it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Re: Vitamin D

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah I take a multivitamin, mostly for the D and B12 and I can notice the difference if I stop taking it for a while.
An absolute unit
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

im terrible with my diet and vitamins so i take these

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/ ... uid=030461
Join us, join the Teslarati!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

That's very interesting Rev.

Last year, I had a few "funny turns" at work - near fainting etc - and had a load of blood tests. In those tests, it emerged that my Vitamin D levels were very very low (Supposed to be 50k units, my was 19k) so I was put on a Very High Dose programme (2 tablets a week for 7 weeks) followed by Daily Supplements. I started well but over time, I've stopped taking the daily's.

I've got the sorts of pains you describe - my right knee needs a good 5 minutes each morning before I can put any weight, My right ankle hurts like buggery if I flex it inwards at all and I've started to get pains in my hand Joints.

I'll get back onto the Vitamin D Supplements ASAP!!
Last edited by dinny_g on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

There was a big thread on the old forum about taking Magnesium suppliments, because many are deficient. I started taking them, and started noticing much better sleep patterns. However, after the bottle ran out, in the name of science I stopped taking them but found I didn't lapse back into the old habits, nor did I notice any difference.

It's a bit like SUL. You've spent the money and your brain convinces you it's worth it. The kicker, for me, is whether you notice when you're *not* taking them.
mik

Post by mik »

Pusher.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Matty wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:48 pm There was a big thread on the old forum about taking Magnesium suppliments, because many are deficient. I started taking them, and started noticing much better sleep patterns. However, after the bottle ran out, in the name of science I stopped taking them but found I didn't lapse back into the old habits, nor did I notice any difference.

It's a bit like SUL. You've spent the money and your brain convinces you it's worth it. The kicker, for me, is whether you notice when you're *not* taking them.
I’d agree with you if I was taking them for the pain, but I wasn’t. I noticed the pain had stopped after I’d been taking them for a few days and wondered if there was a link to vitamin D rather than taking them to see if they’d cure my pain.

Also, low vit d can affect your body’s absorption of zinc and magnesium (as well as calcium) so you might not need mg supplements as much as needing vitamin d to help you absorb the mg in your diet.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:53 pm For a few years now I’ve struggled with aching hips and lower back, to the point where moving from sitting to standing or vice versa was very painful, and it would take a few minutes of walking around to regain a decent range of motion.

I’ve tried physio, stretches, running, losing weight etc to help with it, but nothing has managed to get rid of the pain until now.

I decided to take vitamin D this winter just because I hate this time of year and figured it couldn’t hurt. Within days of starting taking them, my hips have stopped hurting completely and no stiffness or weakness, either. My back is also a lot better, too. I was able to stand for an hour without backache last week watching my youngest play football (normally I have to sit after about 15 mins because my back hurts so much).

It turns out that lower back pain, aching and weak muscles are all symptoms of vitamin d deficiency. NHS current advice is that most people in the uk should probably be taking vitamin d supplements. Do it.
Thanks for the tip. My Brother, Dad and I all have a history of lower back pain, and they both go to a local chiropractor every few weeks. I get lower back pain after walking around the house for 30 minutes trying to comfort the little'un so will defo try some vitamin D supplements, especially as my diet is so shocking. ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:01 pm Also, low vit d can affect your body’s absorption of zinc and magnesium (as well as calcium) so you might not need mg supplements as much as needing vitamin d to help you absorb the mg in your diet.
mik wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:51 pmPusher.
Vitamin D. The gateway vitamin. First ones free.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I had blood tests for something else a while back and was advised to take vitamin d too. Luckily I've not had any of the issues described by others, but hopefully I'm preventing them now.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

My BIL takes it - he says it helps him with tiredness and depression.

Low vit D can be due to lack of sun. He live in Aus.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

unzippy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:06 pm My BIL takes it - he says it helps him with tiredness and depression.

Low vit D can be due to lack of sun. He live in Aus.
Unexpected consequence of the successful skin cancer awareness campaigns in Aus is an increasing occurence of Vitamin D deficiency.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Matty wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:48 pm There was a big thread on the old forum about taking Magnesium suppliments, because many are deficient. I started taking them, and started noticing much better sleep patterns. However, after the bottle ran out, in the name of science I stopped taking them but found I didn't lapse back into the old habits, nor did I notice any difference.

I take 180mg of Magnesium (half normal dose) every morning. When I don't there's a definite worsening of mental outlook after a few days - tendency towards anxiety and negative, circular thinking. Not fully conclusive, as the times I'm without typically coincide with being away from home and doing something that's potentially anxiety-inducing, but enough to make be bother packing some tablets when I go away.

While we're on supplement recommendations, I'm going to say inulin powder. It's basically a pre-biotic for your intestinal forna, and I do take live kefir every morning as well, but it does turbo-charge all the benefits of pro-biotics (immune system, digestive health, mental health, sleep).
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

+1 to inulin. Makes taking a shit a delight.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Wife been complaining about joint pain in recent months, doc's not concerned, will suggest this to her.
Beany

Post by Beany »

So what we're saying here is that everyone who's had a bit of D in them has felt good about it afterwards?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

OV9 - The thrill of aging!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Waiting for Dave to come here and tell you all to get some vitamin MTFU and a gym membership. Where is the cunt :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not trying to be an arse about it, but why do so many people need so many extra supplements and vitamins?

Have people been just 'getting on with' various conditions and ailments without realising a simple pill or two would help?

Is it a dietary thing?

Is it a lifestyle thing?

Is life too easy so the human race doesn't have to evolve naturally any more where the weak and sickly are less likely to survive and reproduce?
Cheers, Harry
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:08 pm Not trying to be an arse about it, but why do so many people need so many extra supplements and vitamins?

Have people been just 'getting on with' various conditions and ailments without realising a simple pill or two would help?

Is it a dietary thing?

Is it a lifestyle thing?

Is life too easy so the human race doesn't have to evolve naturally any more where the weak and sickly are less likely to survive and reproduce?
More data and scientific evidence.

In the case of vitamin d, humans evolved in Africa first where sun was plentiful. As we migrated north, we lost our skin pigmentation to boost vitamin d production, but that can’t make up for the fact that we spend more time indoors, covered up from the sun or wearing sun block. Vitamin D doesn’t occur naturally in our diet so if we don’t make it in our skin, we don’t get enough.
Middle-aged Dirtbag