Vitamin D

Explosive Newt

Re: Vitamin D

Post by Explosive Newt »

Mrs Newt is constantly covered up and works an office job and suffered terribly with seasonal affective disorder. I suggested to her that a good dose of vitamin D would help.

Unfortunately, she went off and got some pills but at least her S.A.D. got better.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Nefarious wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:37 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:08 pm Have people been just 'getting on with' various conditions and ailments without realising a simple pill or two would help?
In a way, yes. I think we all have health expectations now way beyond what they were even a few years ago, both in absolute terms and relative to age.I think people increasingly have expectations of being 100% fit and capable 100% of the time, and are increasingly looking beyond the fairly narrow offerings of their GPs to achieve that.
Not so much a vitamin thing, but on a related note - I see so many people (usually a wee bit older than me) come to pilates with some sort of long term movement problem that they'd basically accepted would just something they had to modify their lives around (in some cases, quite willingly accepted, as it gave them the excuse to lead the sedentary life they always secretly wanted!), only to discover it can quite easily be fixed.

There is also the issue of worsening diets. The nutritional content of the food we eat as a population has declined significantly as fewer and fewer people cook from scratch at home and the pre-prepared food industry has become increasingly cynical about delivering the fat/salt/sugar package people crave in a package that drifts ever further from stuff that grew out of the ground or on the bones of an animal

The supplements industry has come a long way too (and still has a long way to go) - it's not very long since the offering was poorly produced and regulated multi-vitamins backed by a scattergun philosophy. In turn, this means the medical profession have looked on it with some skepticism too (especially when they have "proper" pharmaceuticals to deal with whatever problem). Take my example of magnesium supplements, for example - it's only relatively recently that magnesium glycinate or citrate has been available in isolated form, with the supporting studies to back it up (as well as a firmer understanding of the reasons why its important and the other necessary precursory ingredients behind the crucial enzemic processes). Meanwhile the pharmaceutical industry is still pushing SSRIs (like Prozac) as the catch-all solution for any low-level mental health issue. It's taken time (and we're still not there yet) for the medical profession to move to a position of tackling the causes for long-term health issues, rather than falling back on whatever expensive symptomatic sticky plaster GlaxoSmithKlein has on offer this week.

From a personal point of view, of course better diet is the first-best solution, but sometimes I'm lead by taste and momentary whim more than a carefully strategised eating plan, so using supplements is a convenient compromise (also involves less thinking, which in turn means it's more sustainable).
I think there is a more general issue that we prescribe medications rather than incentivising diet and exercise. Case in point, I had a patient who was obese (BMI about 39 I think) with diabetes mellitus type 2, hypertension and all the other aggro that goes along with it. Managed to get most of the side effects from his statin, blood pressure pills, diabetic tablets, etc. The crazy thing was - he didn't realise that the alternative was to lose weight and rid himself of a lot of the conditions that necessitated taking the meds that made him feel crap. I am not sure if that is a failure of the medical profession or a failure of common sense on his part. Dietary service provision on the NHS Is beyond rubbish but I managed to get him into a trial of very low calorie diet to treat cardiac dysfunction - he did the trial and then stuck at it. Last I heard, he had achieved a normal weight, shed most of his meds and was feeling terrific.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I tried it but it's making my kidneys hurt.

They feel like the day after a huge drinking session.

Stopped and they are back to normal.

Not for me thanks.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’m 2 weeks into the Vit D and already feeling better for it.

Possibly placebo but it doesn’t matter, I’m feeling better for it.

Can someone link me up a Magnesium suggestion. There seem to be several types and doses...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

unzippy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:50 am I tried it but it's making my kidneys hurt.

Not for me thanks.
What dose did you try? Maybe your vit d is already ok.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:25 am I’m 2 weeks into the Vit D and already feeling better for it.

Can someone link me up a Magnesium suggestion. There seem to be several types and doses...
Just get a decent men's multivitamin that covers all the bases. I take the H&B ultra man jobbie.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:25 am I’m 2 weeks into the Vit D and already feeling better for it.

I use healthspan for all my stuff. I have a genetic thing that effects my liver so I already buy Milkthistle from there.

https://www.healthspan.co.uk/products/o ... %20size=90
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:06 am
unzippy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:50 am I tried it but it's making my kidneys hurt.

Not for me thanks.
Unzippy lives in Australia now doesn’t he?

I imagine it’s much easier to get your recommended dose naturally than it is here.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:36 pm Mrs Newt is constantly covered up and works an office job and suffered terribly with seasonal affective disorder. I suggested to her that a good dose of vitamin D would help.

Unfortunately, she went off and got some pills but at least her S.A.D. got better.
Nothing wrong with taking pills my dude
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:07 am

Not for me thanks.

I imagine it’s much easier to get your recommended dose naturally than it is here.
Ah yes, I’d forgotten that. Yep, much less likely to be an issue for him.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

He is liable to suffer Doverdose?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Strangely enough, I've literally just been talking to my Doctor and my Vitamin D is slightly low. I've started taking multivitamins again recently so that should be coming back into line.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:14 am
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:07 am

Ah yes, I’d forgotten that. Yep, much less likely to be an issue for him.
Dunno about that, I’ve always been sun averse and I hate the feeling of sunscreen on me. So over here where the sun can burn me in 15 mins - even in winter, i try and keep my night club tan as pristine as possible!

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Based on the anecdotal evidence from you bunch I've tried multivitamins for the last fortnight. I often feel like a broken marionette walking down stairs in the morning but sofarsogood. So it's either working or it's a cheap placebo.

So TY-YCs.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

RobYob wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:16 pm Based on the anecdotal evidence from you bunch I've tried multivitamins for the last fortnight. I often feel like a broken marionette walking down stairs in the morning but sofarsogood. So it's either working or it's a cheap placebo.

So TY-YCs.
Give it another couple of weeks, then stop taking them. I'd be interested to see if you notice any difference.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Matty wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:11 pm
RobYob wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:16 pm Based on the anecdotal evidence from you bunch I've tried multivitamins for the last fortnight. I often feel like a broken marionette walking down stairs in the morning but sofarsogood. So it's either working or it's a cheap placebo.

So TY-YCs.
Give it another couple of weeks, then stop taking them. I'd be interested to see if you notice any difference.
Yes, New Year's resolution to stop the pills.
In the interest of science. :D
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I had a blood test recently and my Vitamin D levels are 57nmol/l and the normal range is 50-100. That’s after taking 5x the daily recommended dose for 6 months. I haven’t had a vitamin D test before so can’t compare before and after.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Cool Rev...

I haven't had mine re-tested but it was down at 19 when we discovered it. I only did the Very High Dose for 6 weeks and then onto daily supplements. Vit D and Magnesium have had a very positive impact on my general well being. Reminds me - I'm down to my last 4 or 5 Magnesium - need to re-order.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rev : D and not D3 ?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Nathan wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:28 am Rev : D and not D3 ?
I take D3, but it’s measured in the body as D.
Middle-aged Dirtbag