Vitamin D

Beany

Re: Vitamin D

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:14 pm
In the case of vitamin d, humans evolved in Africa first where sun was plentiful. As we migrated north, we lost our skin pigmentation to boost vitamin d production, but that can’t make up for the fact that we spend more time indoors, covered up from the sun or wearing sun block. Vitamin D doesn’t occur naturally in our diet so if we don’t make it in our skin, we don’t get enough.
In all honesty, I can count in minutes - often single figures - the amount of time I spend exposed to the sky on a day to day basis.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:28 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:14 pm
In the case of vitamin d, humans evolved in Africa first where sun was plentiful. As we migrated north, we lost our skin pigmentation to boost vitamin d production, but that can’t make up for the fact that we spend more time indoors, covered up from the sun or wearing sun block. Vitamin D doesn’t occur naturally in our diet so if we don’t make it in our skin, we don’t get enough.
In all honesty, I can count in minutes - often single figures - the amount of time I spend exposed to the sky on a day to day basis.
You, of all people, should get yourself on them. Less than £7 for a years’ supply:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:08 pm Have people been just 'getting on with' various conditions and ailments without realising a simple pill or two would help?
In a way, yes. I think we all have health expectations now way beyond what they were even a few years ago, both in absolute terms and relative to age.I think people increasingly have expectations of being 100% fit and capable 100% of the time, and are increasingly looking beyond the fairly narrow offerings of their GPs to achieve that.
Not so much a vitamin thing, but on a related note - I see so many people (usually a wee bit older than me) come to pilates with some sort of long term movement problem that they'd basically accepted would just something they had to modify their lives around (in some cases, quite willingly accepted, as it gave them the excuse to lead the sedentary life they always secretly wanted!), only to discover it can quite easily be fixed.

There is also the issue of worsening diets. The nutritional content of the food we eat as a population has declined significantly as fewer and fewer people cook from scratch at home and the pre-prepared food industry has become increasingly cynical about delivering the fat/salt/sugar package people crave in a package that drifts ever further from stuff that grew out of the ground or on the bones of an animal

The supplements industry has come a long way too (and still has a long way to go) - it's not very long since the offering was poorly produced and regulated multi-vitamins backed by a scattergun philosophy. In turn, this means the medical profession have looked on it with some skepticism too (especially when they have "proper" pharmaceuticals to deal with whatever problem). Take my example of magnesium supplements, for example - it's only relatively recently that magnesium glycinate or citrate has been available in isolated form, with the supporting studies to back it up (as well as a firmer understanding of the reasons why its important and the other necessary precursory ingredients behind the crucial enzemic processes). Meanwhile the pharmaceutical industry is still pushing SSRIs (like Prozac) as the catch-all solution for any low-level mental health issue. It's taken time (and we're still not there yet) for the medical profession to move to a position of tackling the causes for long-term health issues, rather than falling back on whatever expensive symptomatic sticky plaster GlaxoSmithKlein has on offer this week.

From a personal point of view, of course better diet is the first-best solution, but sometimes I'm lead by taste and momentary whim more than a carefully strategised eating plan, so using supplements is a convenient compromise (also involves less thinking, which in turn means it's more sustainable).
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m particularly interested in the current research into various psychedelic drugs, MDMA and Ketamine and their impacts on depression and anxiety. A single treatment with LSD under clinically controlled conditions appears to keep depression at bay for months at a time. Ketamine infusions are already working and do something similar.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Dave, wife asking whether you had any form of prescription for the chemists or whether you ‘just’ bought a pot from the supermarket or whatever and followed the daily dosage instructions? Cheers
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:16 pm Dave, wife asking whether you had any form of prescription for the chemists or whether you ‘just’ bought a pot from the supermarket or whatever and followed the daily dosage instructions? Cheers
See link above, I just bought them off Amazon. The NHS recommends we all take 10 micro grams per day in most cases, but certainly under 100 micro grams per day.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’ve ordered that pot Rev...👍🏻

Going to try some of the other vitamins suggested too. A perfect diet would negate the need for supplements but who the help can do that these days.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:36 pm So what we're saying here is that everyone who's had a bit of D in them has felt good about it afterwards?
E is even better IIRC😂😂
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:31 pm I’ve ordered that pot Rev...👍🏻

Going to try some of the other vitamins suggested too. A perfect diet would negate the need for supplements but who the help can do that these days.
Ordered some too.

I’d say my diet is already on the healthy side. Juice most days, plenty of fruit and veg. Same at the weekends but I tend to have whatever the fuck I like on top of that too. My life (mostly single, no kids) is a piece of piss compared to friends and colleagues so I’m lucky in that I do have the time to cook properly.

But I might try a cocktail of vitamin D and magnesium, see if it helps my sleep routine and general well-being.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

That’s what I’m planning mate -I know I need Vit D but going to add magnesium .

Watch your fruit intake though . Shite loads of sugar if your not careful.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
mik

Post by mik »

I'm very happy to tuck into my veg, but barely eat any fruit. What is my vjtamin defecit? :?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 pm That’s what I’m planning mate -I know I need Vit D but going to add magnesium .

Watch your fruit intake though . Shite loads of sugar if your not careful.
The juice I make is usually approx 3 parts veg to 1 fruit so I reckon I’m good.
Beany

Post by Beany »

McSwede wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:49 pm
Beany wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:36 pm So what we're saying here is that everyone who's had a bit of D in them has felt good about it afterwards?
E is even better IIRC😂😂
I will say, I have often heard that E's are good.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:31 pm I’ve ordered that pot Rev...👍🏻
That won't help you eat a better diet.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:47 pm
McSwede wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:49 pm
E is even better IIRC😂😂
I will say, I have often heard that E's are good.
Ebenezer Good?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:19 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:16 pm Dave, wife asking whether you had any form of prescription for the chemists or whether you ‘just’ bought a pot from the supermarket or whatever and followed the daily dosage instructions? Cheers
See link above, I just bought them off Amazon. The NHS recommends we all take 10 micro grams per day in most cases, but certainly under 100 micro grams per day.
ta
Richard

Post by Richard »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:08 pm Not trying to be an arse about it, but why do so many people need so many extra supplements and vitamins?

Have people been just 'getting on with' various conditions and ailments without realising a simple pill or two would help?

Is it a dietary thing?

Is it a lifestyle thing?

Is life too easy so the human race doesn't have to evolve naturally any more where the weak and sickly are less likely to survive and reproduce?
I’d guess we’re better as a species at staying alive and well. Remember when we used to die when we were 40?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

As I will be 40 in approx 7 months time, thankfully not 😂
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:48 pm That's very interesting Rev.

Last year, I had a few "funny turns" at work - near fainting etc - and had a load of blood tests. In those tests, it emerged that my Vitamin D levels were very very low (Supposed to be 50k units, my was 19k) so I was put on a Very High Dose programme (2 tablets a week for 7 weeks) followed by Daily Supplements. I started well but over time, I've stopped taking the daily's.
A few years ago I was suffering from some dizziness, muscle pain, headaches, low energy and tiredness. My eyes would occasionally go really bloodshot too. So I went to the doctors and got fobbed off by my local GP who wasn't that interested :roll:

A while later, I noticed one of my ribs was protruding from my chest slightly more than the other side. So back to the doctors I went...well, this time I saw the nurse who was more interested. So off for a blood test... When the results came back everything was fine, apart from very low vitamin d. Not deficient, but very close to.
Like you, I was put on a high dose programme. Took a while, but gradually all the problems i had, described above disappeared. I've carried on taking it since and have stayed in great shape.

Definitely worth taking. There's no way most people in the UK get enough in the winter.
Oui, je suis un motard.