Expensive service

Nefarious

Expensive service

Post by Nefarious »

The Merc was due a service. Just a basic "A" service - oil and filter. Merc wanted 600 notes for the privilege, so got a swift fuck off. Unfortunately with the new electronic service books, I could only choose from independents who've paid out for access to the central database, which ruled out everyone in Edinburgh.

So, trip to Glasgow arranged. Car booked in at a far more reasonable £150. Happy days. Except I made the mistake of mentioning said trip to Mrs. Nef, who thought coming along, and spending the waiting time mooching around Glasgow city centre would be fun. I think you can see where this is going...

In the end, the Merc is now serviced and Mrs Nef has a Vivienne Westwood coat. The hole in my wallet is substantially larger than if I'd just paid the main dealer in the first place :roll: .
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Orange Cola

Re: Expensive service

Post by Orange Cola »

:lol:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

What Merc do you have? Mine has the foot operated parking brake which needs adjusting and I was wondering it it's a job I can do or if it needs to go somewhere.
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

never tell 'er indoors how much you have saved lol
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:25 pm What Merc do you have? Mine has the foot operated parking brake which needs adjusting and I was wondering it it's a job I can do or if it needs to go somewhere.
2010 ML350. Multi-purpose "family" car, builders van, tow vehicle and general lugger of loads. Very effective, but lacking in charisma.

Can't tell you much about the footbrake adjustment, I'm afraid. I haven't actually done any work on the car myself in the 6 months I've had it at all, and TBH mostly intend to keep things that way!
mik

Post by mik »

Brilliant. :lol:

Who did you take it to?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Nefarious wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:20 pm I could only choose from independents who've paid out for access to the central database
Why does it need to be in the central database?

And £600 for a basic A-service? Sweet jesus, and here's me thinking McSwede's BMW quote was bad.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

mik wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:38 pm Brilliant. :lol:

Who did you take it to?
TJ O'Neills. Seem like a decent bunch of blokes.

Matty - that's the Merc system - all the service records are held on a central database in Germany somewhere, and anyone who wants to read or add to them has to pay for a licence. Fucking scam if you ask me.

Strictly speaking, I could just have a normal service and keep all the paper records from here on in, but I suspect that nay future buyer would regard that as a bit pikey and rightly or wrongly make a negative inference on the quality of the work.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It should be free to access the records, even if it means posting a copy of the service paperwork to MB and they update it a few weeks later or whatever.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I don't think Central Servicing Databases are just a MB thing are they ??

I bought a Volvo V40 in 2005 (in the UK) and my mate back in Dublin, who worked in a Volvo Dealership was able to send me the full skinny on the car, services intervals, recall work (there was a recall on the Radio, it was frying fuses), the lot.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Why do you care about the Merc service database on a 5k car?
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Nathan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:41 pm Why do you care about the Merc service database on a 5k car?
This. That's £40.00 in parts & an hour under the car tops. You deserve to be fleeced by your wife for being so carefree with your money. I bet you said no to the match handbag too, you heartless beast.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought being in Scotland you could get it serviced for £40 at a main dealer :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Nathan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:41 pm Why do you care about the Merc service database on a 5k car?
It's a £12k car, and I'm not planning on running it into the ground. It's only got 53k OTC and is in pretty good shape - I'd like to keep it as one of the premium ones when it comes for sale time
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Didn't realise it was so low mileage sorry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Unlucky that.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Pffffffft

I’ve serviced cheaper cars for much more than that!!
Last edited by Richard on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Richard wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:09 pm Pffffffft

I’ve serviced cheapest cars for much more than that!!
Fiat Punto for starters.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Foz

Post by Foz »

Nefarious wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:18 pm
It's a £12k car, and I'm not planning on running it into the ground. It's only got 53k OTC and is in pretty good shape - I'd like to keep it as one of the premium ones when it comes for sale time
Sadly nothing like that :(