Good Curry Houses

dinny_g

Re: Good Curry Houses

Post by dinny_g »

Right, that does it - I’m having a go this weekend!!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:10 am I had a Thai curry last night :shock:
Very good.

Need to find somewhere that sells plantains so I can recreate that deep fried coconut batter plantain dessert and binge on it over the weekend.

Also does anyone know how to make nice grilled squid at home? I’m tried a few times and end up with something akin to a Pirelli P6000 tyre.
I live in a tiny town and the local green grocery sells them, surely you can find them in London!
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

16vCento wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:26 am I'm in Aberdeen this week, anywhere offering a decent curry around there?
I had one at Rishi's Indian Aroma which was good, but not quite as good as the other ones that I've mentioned in this thread.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Knew I recognised that book, I obviously bought it the last time Zip recommended it... Might actually cook something from it this time round 😐
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just had some dinner at The Third Eye in Didsbury. Very nice, especially the chilli paneer starter 👍👍
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Carlos wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 pm Same as Jon's basic curry, absolutely fabulous.

Genuinely as good as my local takeaway for a similar dish but it's a lot of work which ended up being over 2 evenings.
Good man!

Going to try an okra curry with some of the defrosted sauce tomorrow night.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Okra 🤮
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:47 pmOkra 🤮
Too right.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm Just had some dinner at The Third Eye in Didsbury. Very nice, especially the chilli paneer starter 👍👍
Totally forgot about that place. Last time I went was for Matt_H's birthday I think with a few other forumites. The Boti kebab is one of my faves - I like quite dry curries, so the saucy one everyone's trying above looks exactly like something I wouldn't bother with! There's a couple of other good' 'uns in Didders, Great Kathmandu springs to mind.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Carlos wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 pm Same as Jon's basic curry, absolutely fabulous.
Genuinely as good as my local takeaway for a similar dish but it's a lot of work which ended up being over 2 evenings.
Winner winner, curried chicken dinner!
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Those home made curries both look excellent, Jon and Carl 8-) Might have a go myself.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Enjoyed a good curry at a place called Avatar in Shrewsbury a few weeks back.

My favoured local takeaway has just been awarded a 1 star food hygiene rating so I'm trying not to think about it :lol:

Mrs makes a great curry now. She's perfected it over the 20 long years we've been together.

In fact that might be why we're still together :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

For fancy curry, Cinnamon Club in Westminster is really very good.

Don’t confuse it with their Cinnamon Club bistro style locations, “Cinnamon Kitchen” which in my experience are fine at best.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Went to the Punjabi place in Covent Garden again for dinner but has the prawn tandoori (I prefer tandoori over curry).
Walked back via Chinatown and found the mythical Nam Wah Banana so I can make my Thai dessert this weekend providing I find rice flour.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I was round that way tonight seeing the
Depeche Mode movie in Leicester Square. Which was more about the fans, for the fans, that any insight into the band. Enjoyable nonetheless.
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I did the basic curry today but with beef and it was bloody lovely. I've got three good portions of the base left to do some more. A labour intensive meal but that's the best curry by far that I've cooked and the most like a restaurant quality sauce. Thanks for sharing this recipe book!!

Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Had a disappointing curry on brick lane last night, but I wish I took a picture of their menus because it included some bold claims including that they were "highly commended by HRH The Prince of Wales." 😂
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Make an account on trip advisor with the username “HRH The Prince of Wales” then comment that you highly recommend it and watch the money roll in :mrgreen:
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

The other half is a vegetarian so curry has usually been our go-to food.

Oxford
- Standard Tandoori - the place has been going since the 1970s (still family owned) and does absolutely mouthwatering food. It's tiny (about 10 tables) so book ahead but the advantage is that the staff work the room and the service is machine gun quick. Get a saag as a side.
- Aziz - wierd location but excellent curry

Cambridge
- Prana - won all kinds of awards. Great food and top service. Actually has a decent wine list, unusually for a curry place in my book. Bit more polished and modern than your 'authentic' curry place but that's no bad thing.
- Pipasha - outside of the town centre so often gets overlooked but does the best rogan josh I have ever seen.

16vCento wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm Some decent ones I've been to locally in West Yorkshire are;

Sweet Center on Lumb Lane in Bradford, probably an 8/10 curry but the Seekh Kebabs are the best I've had though.

Shimla Spice (one in Shipley and in Keighley) both great, I think they just won best curry in Britain) stupidly oversized naan breads which are good to share. Mixed Keema and Chicken Madras is good in there.

Aagrah Shipley, not as great as it once was, but still good.

Janis in Baildon, chefs are from the original downstairs old Aagrah in Shipley (as are the chairs with bells on them), anything from here is great.

Akbars in Leeds (and Bradford) do great curry, and interesting starters, very busy though if you go on a weekend, proper old school food in a modern environment.

Deeva in Farsley, converted old church building, nice currys but starters are only average, decent pub over the road which solves this as you don't remember how average the starters are after a load of beer.

Plenty more to add, we can build a map of where to go (and not to go!) In the UK.

There seems to be a few of us round here as well so there could be a OV9 Curry meet.....
You can't be too far away from my parents in Guiseley. Where Mumbai village is excellent and does the most collosal naans.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I'm about a 15 minute drive over the moors from Guiseley, never had a curry there though!