Good Curry Houses

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Good Curry Houses

Post by 16vCento »

As inspired by the completely unrelated thread in the moaning forum, where have you found good curry?

Me and about 10 of my friends have a 'Curry Club', we've gone for a curry once a month for the last 10 Years or so together and found some corkers (and some shitholes).

Some decent ones I've been to locally in West Yorkshire are;

Sweet Center on Lumb Lane in Bradford, probably an 8/10 curry but the Seekh Kebabs are the best I've had though.

Shimla Spice (one in Shipley and in Keighley) both great, I think they just won best curry in Britain) stupidly oversized naan breads which are good to share. Mixed Keema and Chicken Madras is good in there.

Aagrah Shipley, not as great as it once was, but still good.

Janis in Baildon, chefs are from the original downstairs old Aagrah in Shipley (as are the chairs with bells on them), anything from here is great.

Akbars in Leeds (and Bradford) do great curry, and interesting starters, very busy though if you go on a weekend, proper old school food in a modern environment.

Deeva in Farsley, converted old church building, nice currys but starters are only average, decent pub over the road which solves this as you don't remember how average the starters are after a load of beer.

Plenty more to add, we can build a map of where to go (and not to go!) In the UK.

There seems to be a few of us round here as well so there could be a OV9 Curry meet.....
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Good Curry Houses

Post by Matty »

Blue Ginger in Bridgnorth is our go to. Great area for a drive/walk too.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Matty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:05 pm Blue Ginger in Bridgnorth is our go to. Great area for a drive/walk too.
Seconded 👍

Asha's in Brum is good, Lasan is exceptional.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Warwick spice in err... Warwick. They were voted best in the country or something a few years back. Castle Balti also get good reviews.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

16vCento wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm Akbars in Leeds (and Bradford) do great curry, and interesting starters, very busy though if you go on a weekend, proper old school food in a modern environment.
Is that the one with the giant naan breads?
Left over crest; tightens.
Beany

Post by Beany »

JonMad wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:14 pm
16vCento wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm Akbars in Leeds (and Bradford) do great curry, and interesting starters, very busy though if you go on a weekend, proper old school food in a modern environment.
I think family naans are just a thing around here. East on Richardshaw Lane, Pudsey do them too.

You do NOT share them. Ever. You eat them yourself.

Nice place, staff are as gobby or polite as you want :lol: I can't speak to how traditional or modern or authentic or british it is, but I do like eating there.

Got a nice wee roof terrace they're expanding too; It's close to the office so it's a regular haunt, regular enough that if the owner spots us, he'll give us a walkthrough of his latest renovations, changes, get our opinion on things etc.

Recently picked up lunch for the office there (they've started doing daytime takeaway) and ended up chatting with the owner about E30-E90 values and ownership as one of his mates has an M3 obsession :D

Farsely us just up the road from me so I might have to have a look at Deevas.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

The curry at East always seems like its had a bath in salt before cooking.

Abids in Stanningley always seemed quite a bit better quality.

If you go to Deeva you wont go back to East :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

16vCento wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 pm The curry at East always seems like its had a bath in salt before cooking.

Abids in Stanningley always seemed quite a bit better quality.

If you go to Deeva you wont go back to East :lol:
I think East is a bit common denominator; we like the service and the roof terrace, honestly. The food is perfectly fine, but perhaps not special?

I'll suggest Abids and Deeva, but we're 'friends of East' so it's a very, very easy choice for us ;)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

This thread needs Hampshire content. Monsoon in Hartley Wintney is good. Hook Tandoori in Hook, funnily enough, is often good but sometimes I find it average. There was The Gate of India in Hook which I preferred, but sadly it's now a Dominos. Several decent places in Fleet too, lots of gurkhas around so plenty of Nepalese choice.
Left over crest; tightens.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Ashoka in Glasgow West End is good, Mik knows of a better one though I think close by to where that one is.

Mother India in Manhattan do a good curry for downtown NY.

Kashmir in Salem New Hampshire is the closest I've had to a local curry in the US, but we may have shown them how to cook a little bit.....

I had Lamb Brain curry in Weston Super Mare, I forget where, but I was surprised by how good it was, I'll check and find the name of the place, they did Alligator and Kangaroo as well. (Butcher in Farsley does Alligator and Kangaroo burgers for bbqs Beany)
Beany

Post by Beany »

16vCento wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 pm Ashoka in Glasgow West End is good, Mik knows of a better one though I think close by to where that one is.

Mother India in Manhattan do a good curry for downtown NY.

Kashmir in Salem New Hampshire is the closest I've had to a local curry in the US, but we may have shown them how to cook a little bit.....

I had Lamb Brain curry in Weston Super Mare, I forget where, but I was surprised by how good it was, I'll check and find the name of the place, they did Alligator and Kangaroo as well. (Butcher in Farsley does Alligator and Kangaroo burgers for bbqs Beany)
I've had kangaroo burgers before, can't recall then being special or different though.

I should probably or stone Farsley more often, seems I'm missing out on loads :D
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Yeah theres a place called Grumpys that do wood fired pizza that's pretty good as well, decent beer too, but their pizzas aren't as good as the Salt Brewery Tap (used to be Tramshed) in Saltaire.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

JonMad wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:14 pm
Even the 2 person nana is huge, the family one looks like a Christmas tree when they bring it out! York Akbar’s is ok, not what I’d call outstanding.
The taj mahal in salou, Spain was well rated by every person I know that’s been there. Whenever we have lads break there it’s usually the first stop for food, long way to go mind. Haven’t had anything from our local in yateley but it came up today so me and the wife are going to have a date there next month.
mik

Post by mik »

16vCento wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 pm Ashoka in Glasgow West End is good, Mik knows of a better one though I think close by to where that one is.
Mother India's Cafe - opposite Kelvingrove Art Gallery. No bookings. Tapas so you get to taste a few things. Just epic.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

If these are the same Akbars as in Manchester then fvck that.

Don't tend to get out for a curry much these days, but we went to Dishoom in Manchester earlier this year and it was fapping awesome. Double Tree in Altrincham is also a favourite, with some interesting dishes on the menu.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 pm If these are the same Akbars as in Manchester then fvck that.

Don't tend to get out for a curry much these days, but we went to Dishoom in Manchester earlier this year and it was fapping awesome. Double Tree in Altrincham is also a favourite, with some interesting dishes on the menu.
I've been to Dishoom in Edinburgh several times and it's superb. Always busy! Did the one in Kings X when we went to see Muse.
Ronaq in Edinburgh was also very good.
Shalimar Gold in Derby was excellent
Döner Haus in Glasgow for Kebab, currywurst and great German beer👍👍
Memsaab in Nottingham for high end, high class Indian food.
Koolba in Glasgow has been very good each time I've been.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Still remember my curry in Mother India Cafe in Edinburgh, and that was eight years ago! I tried to go again when I went back this summer but there was too long a wait so I went somewhere else which wasn't as good.

Mumbai 27 in Belfast is also really good.

Need some good but not silly expensive recommendations for London.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

McSwede wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:32 am
I've been to Dishoom in Edinburgh several times and it's superb. Always busy! Did the one in Kings X when we went to see Muse.
Crazy busy, I think we waited in the bar for 2 hours which luckily was a nice place in its own right.

Unusual menu and dining experience which really confused my wife as the only meat curry on the menu was a 'Ruby Murray'. :lol:

Best place I've ever been.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've still not managed to get a Dishoom, but I always hear that they're crazy busy and you have to wait forever, which just doesn't appeal. I'll do it one day.

I still occasionally go to the Empress on Leman St as recommended on the forum many moons ago (and one time forum meet location). It's still very good.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:09 am I've still not managed to get a Dishoom, but I always hear that they're crazy busy and you have to wait forever, which just doesn't appeal. I'll do it one day.

I still occasionally go to the Empress on Leman St as recommended on the forum many moons ago (and one time forum meet location). It's still very good.
From my experience with Dishoom it's better to go eat a little earlier as later gets crazy busy. They'll only book tables for more than 6 people. When we went to the King's X one it was about 5pm and we waited 30mins in the bar downstairs. When we left the restaurant people were queued right down the street.

Breakfast at Dishoom is also very good and worth trying.