Selling a car advice - scams?

MikeHunt

Selling a car advice - scams?

Post by MikeHunt »

I was planning to put the Yaris on collecting cars as I figured that they earn the sellers premium by making sure all is legit. But I received a good offer from someone via the owners club, seemed like a decent chap and so I was going to sell to him.

When the car arrived at the dealership, they had some problems getting the paperwork done, staff shortages etc. I’d say that they arent setup to sell anything other than hybrids to pensioners and the whole thing took over 2 weeks. In this time, the buyer starts getting impatient, he arranged to fly over from Northern Ireland and stayed in a local hotel. As the car wasn’t ready, he then had to make his own way back and without a car was unable to get in the ferry he had booked. I advised him not to book flights as I could see how painfully slow the dealer was but now he is moaning that he is out of pocket and lost earnings.

He has also paid a small amount of money from 2 different bank accounts which were initially flagged as unusual, maybe because it’s a Monzo that I rarely use. A friend sold a watch a few months ago for a five figure sum, even though the money showed in his online account, it disappeared the next day and this is apparently a scam that isn’t uncommon.

Does anyone have experience or advise please? Should I ask for funds in the account for 48 hours? Should I just go back to plan a and use the professionals?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Selling a car advice - scams?

Post by Rich B »

Out of pocket and Lost earnings - sure go join the back of the waiting list mate.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

If he booked flights hotel & ferry after you told him not to, you’re in the clear there IMO. Tell him to take it up with the dealership.
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:16 am If he booked flights hotel & ferry after you told him not to, you’re in the clear there IMO.
That. Obviously got himself a bit overexcited and did something a bit stoopid. Hardly your fault.

No idea about money and payments disappearing.

FWIW as far as I know Collectimg Cars just provide the platform. They don’t get involved in anything after the sale is agreed - it’s left to be organised between the buying and selling parties.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

mik wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:31 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:16 am If he booked flights hotel & ferry after you told him not to, you’re in the clear there IMO.
That. Obviously got himself a bit overexcited and did something a bit stoopid. Hardly your fault.
A few family members are telling me, that no one would be that stupid and its a scammer trying to create urgency.

Im probably not alone on here admitting that I would probably be that stupid, like a kid a xmas :D
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

MikeHunt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:04 am ...no one would be that stupid...
LOL.

There's an old saying that if you make something idiot-proof, they'll just invent a better idiot. Never underestimate people's stupidity.

And what would he gain by creating that urgency anyway ? If the dealership isn't ready to release it then he can stamp his little feet as much as he wants, but the car's not going anywhere.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Chap sounds like a proper moron. I’d block him and move on.
How about not having a sig at all?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:08 am And what would he gain by creating that urgency anyway ? If the dealership isn't ready to release it then he can stamp his little feet as much as he wants, but the car's not going anywhere.
My mate with the watch told me that this is what happened to him, they changed the time as they were in the area and so him being in a rush meant that maybe he missed something that he meaybe wouldn’t have done with a clear head. Doesn’t make Dane to me, I’d make a poor criminal.