Mattress recommendations please!

duncs500

Re: Mattress recommendations please!

Post by duncs500 »

We've got an Emma one, I found it a bit stiff at first so we got the extra add in bit that softens it up a small amount. We're happy with it and the price was reasonable. I wouldn't say I love it, the wife probably favours it more than me. The truth is I don't really know what I want from a mattress though, I've done the whole trying it in the shop thing, but I find it hard to relate that to actual sleep. Probably most likely for me would be to wait until I have one I really love in a hotel and then if possible find out what it is.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavster wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 am I've had a Tempur mattress for years and would NOT recommend it. It became too soft for my liking very quickly and they wouldn't do anything about it when I contacted them to complain about that fact. Not worth the price IMO. These days I'd probably go for a really good, firm pocket sprung mattress with a memory foam topper.
Aye, I've had a full memory foam mattress and a sprung mattress with a topper before and I prefer the massively thick pocket sprung mattress I have now.

Memory foam always seemed to get too warm for me to comfortably sleep too.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I do sleep well on my Tempur, never bought into the feeling weightless nonsense they used to claim though. I do remember it actually stank of plastic when it was new for about a year though!
I find that your choice of pillow and how you actually position yourself when you sleep is more important if you get back/neck pain though. Thick pillows murdered me, as did the memory foam ones, eventually I found out that I can only get on with the really cheap pillows you find in supermarkets for Β£2 which are an inch thick πŸ˜‚
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:05 pm Thick pillows murdered me, as did the memory foam ones, eventually I found out that I can only get on with the really cheap pillows you find in supermarkets for Β£2 which are an inch thick πŸ˜‚
Pretty much this
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I quite like memory foam pillows. I sleep on my side and use two, I need quite a lot of pillow or I end up with my head dropping down at a weird angle.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:31 pm I quite like memory foam pillows. I sleep on my side and use two, I need quite a lot of pillow or I end up with my head dropping down at a weird angle.
It's the ultimate problem. I lie on my side, but also sometimes on my back. So you need less pillow height when lying on your back compared to lying on your side. Getting the balance right is tricky.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Plymouth last Oct for a couple of nights and I had a couple of amazing nights' sleep - the first night I felt so good the following morning and had so much energy it just about reminded me of life before children :lol:

The pillows were down I think, and there were two of them. But they were fairly thin at the same time with minimal compression. I've tried looking to see what make they may be but haven't got anywhere. If we go again I'll be checking the labels :lol:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:17 am
Gavster wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 am I've had a Tempur mattress for years and would NOT recommend it. It became too soft for my liking very quickly and they wouldn't do anything about it when I contacted them to complain about that fact. Not worth the price IMO. These days I'd probably go for a really good, firm pocket sprung mattress with a memory foam topper.
Aye, I've had a full memory foam mattress and a sprung mattress with a topper before and I prefer the massively thick pocket sprung mattress I have now.

Memory foam always seemed to get too warm for me to comfortably sleep too.
I'd longing to get back to a good pocket sprung. It's always worth remembering that the most expensive and luxurious mattresses are not memory foam.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

By pure coincidence, I saw a big truck while out for my lunch from a company called Hypnos, they appear to have a Royal seal, are handmade in England, and according to them, they are the most comfortable mattresses in the world

I've never heard of them, but thought I'd throw it out here as another option (you never know...)

https://www.hypnosbeds.com/uk/mattresses
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Hypnos make the Premier Inn beds, you can buy the same direct if you wanted. https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/sleep/buy-our-bed.html

A friend has a Sleepsoul pocket sprung plus memory foam mattress on their spare bed, I've found it really comfy and will look for similar when ours needs replacing. Lots of these direct mattress places do similar (called "hybrid" and the like), it's a good mix of sprung support and a bit of foam squishiness.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

They look great, tempted to buy one πŸ˜‚ it's the wool topper that seals it for me. Pure wool duvets are fantastic, incredibly warm and amazing at regulating body temperature all year round, they're fantastic.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Gavster wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:04 pm They look great, tempted to buy one πŸ˜‚ it's the wool topper that seals it for me. Pure wool duvets are fantastic, incredibly warm and amazing at regulating body temperature all year round, they're fantastic.
I'll second that. I have a hatred of light synthetic duvets, and am not that keen on down either, but found out about wool duvets after a bit of googling. So we got a thin one to try, I love it, it's got a lovely weight to it, and for me it kinda works temperature wise all year round (the wife adds a blanket to her side in winter). It did smell a bit sheepy (as we'd read from the reviews so was expected) when we got it but we aired it out for a bit at first and it's either faded or wet got used to it because I never noticed it after a week or two.:D

I can't see us using any other kind of duvet now, quite cheap as well.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

duncs500 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:48 pm
Gavster wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:04 pm They look great, tempted to buy one πŸ˜‚ it's the wool topper that seals it for me. Pure wool duvets are fantastic, incredibly warm and amazing at regulating body temperature all year round, they're fantastic.
I'll second that. I have a hatred of light synthetic duvets, and am not that keen on down either, but found out about wool duvets after a bit of googling. So we got a thin one to try, I love it, it's got a lovely weight to it, and for me it kinda works temperature wise all year round (the wife adds a blanket to her side in winter). It did smell a bit sheepy (as we'd read from the reviews so was expected) when we got it but we aired it out for a bit
Understandable. The last thing your missus needs with a little one is you horny every night.

I'll take a look at those wool duvets 😎
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hopefully not as itchy as a woolly jumper.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

We had to buy new wider pillows for our super king bed and I found Soak and Sleep seemed to have the widest range and decent prices. The silk pillows have worked very well for both my wife and me; they don’t get hot like hollowfibre and retain their shape well.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Carlos wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm
Understandable. The last thing your missus needs with a little one is you horny every night.

I'll take a look at those wool duvets 😎
:lol: That's a bit rich coming from a Welshman! ;)
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

About 20 years ago I did the marketing print for Harrison beds in Leeds. Even then some of their mattresses were 20 grand. Were all made in the UK. Owner had a helicopter outside. Probably overpriced British tat πŸ˜€

https://www.harrisonspinks.co.uk/products
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:48 pm
ZedLeg wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:31 pm I quite like memory foam pillows. I sleep on my side and use two, I need quite a lot of pillow or I end up with my head dropping down at a weird angle.
It's the ultimate problem. I lie on my side, but also sometimes on my back. So you need less pillow height when lying on your back compared to lying on your side. Getting the balance right is tricky.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Plymouth last Oct for a couple of nights and I had a couple of amazing nights' sleep - the first night I felt so good the following morning and had so much energy it just about reminded me of life before children :lol:

The pillows were down I think, and there were two of them. But they were fairly thin at the same time with minimal compression. I've tried looking to see what make they may be but haven't got anywhere. If we go again I'll be checking the labels :lol:
Came here to say this. I end up taking my memory foam pillow with me when going to visit parents etc! Let me know if you find the magic pillow.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

We bought a pure wool topper for our Simba mattress and it was a huge waste of money. Upon unpacking it looked and felt awesome. After a couple of nights sleep it's as flat as a pancake and offers sod all benefit. Very disappointed with it.

I can see the benefit of a wool duvet though, and I shall give that some thought.
mik

Post by mik »

Duck feather duvet here.

Took about 6 months to stop gently crunching as you moved it, but it’s superb.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: ↑Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:01 am Duck feather duvet here.

Took about 6 months to stop gently crunching as you moved it, but it’s superb.
Were they still in their shells?