Coronavirus

V8Granite

Re: Coronavirus

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 am

If Anti-Vax Jeff arrives in Hospital with Covid and is struggling to breath at the same time as vaccinated Dave who needs the ICU bed due to his cancer, I'd give the bed to Dave every day of the week.
All the laydeeeees give the bed to Dave too 8-)

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:02 am
dinny_g wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 am

If Anti-Vax Jeff arrives in Hospital with Covid and is struggling to breath at the same time as vaccinated Dave who needs the ICU bed due to his cancer, I'd give the bed to Dave every day of the week.
All the laydeeeees give the bed to Dave too 8-)

Dave!
Where are they going?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I went out to Vodka Revs after the work Christmas party and I think I’ve figured out how covid is spreading…
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ :o How so very dare you!

In other news;

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Anti-Vaxer used prosthetic arm to get Covid Passport without actually getting Jabbed... :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... g-fake-arm
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I went for my booster today and there had been an I.T. error meaning I'd been booked into the wrong venue.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

From reading and who guidance it appears there isn't enough evidence to support a booster yet we are rolling out at a rates of knots. I'm on the fence - whilst there appears to be no negative the benefits are yet to be proven.

I've had my double, not rushing to get booster at this point.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't understand that perspective. When you look at the antibody counts and the evidence of the boost in symptomatic infection protection to 93/94% and the clear drop in deaths in those age groups who've had the booster, I don't think it'd be clearer. Boosters are needed. There is waning immunity after 2 doses.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Daughter sent home today as 10 cases in her year, and has just tested pos. We are both neg, now got to get elder son home from school to test him. Sigh. Only just getting over a nasty cold virus she brought home 10 days ago. Had planned to get boosted end of this week, will be difficult now. Both 6 months since 2nd AZ so efficacy at, what, 60%?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The NHS website booking for boosters has been updated even though the message implies it hasn't yet: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/

Booked my booster for this Saturday afternoon. Same place as I had my first two jabs (Moderna) so I'm hoping I'll get Moderna again.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It only works for some. I tried but it's not working yet...

Lead dev on Twitter says it takes a while to go through the systems and update everyone's eligibility, so to keep trying later if you can't do it yet.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ah, cheers - interesting. Maybe they need to update the Excel spreadsheet it's running on.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's a weird way to do it. Rather than 'update eligibility for everyone', why not define the eligibility criteria centrally and then parse and process everyone's details against that criteria when they try and book? That way you're only updating one thing at a time, not millions.

Oh well.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Shlergen wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:33 pm From reading and who guidance it appears there isn't enough evidence to support a booster yet we are rolling out at a rates of knots. I'm on the fence - whilst there appears to be no negative the benefits are yet to be proven.

I've had my double, not rushing to get booster at this point.
Yeah tricky. Again, we're currently reliant upon pre-prints and stuff shared on twitter.

e.g.
report a reduction in antibody neutralisation but not a huge one.

reports a slightly larger (note log scale) reduction.

So it still works, but you need higher antibody titres knocking around to work effectively.

So vaccination still confers ability to combat the virus. It's not as strong granted but the vaccine will likely prevent serious illness and at high enough antibody titres, protection from catching it at all.

How do you make your titres higher? A booster.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:39 am How do you make your titres higher?
Instragram were saying the trick is apparently, to face side on to the camera, arch your back and raise one hand over your head. ;) :D
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:18 pm Wife has finally had her 3rd primary jab today. Should've happened weeks ago but for the shambolic roll out. And she didn't even have to provide any evidence of her history to get it.

Pfizer after a double dose of AZ
Wife has now tested +ve for covid. She started with aches and pains, and lots of sneezing, on Sunday so, given she had her 3rd full jab late afternoon on Fri, we just assumed it was that kicking in. She doesn't currently seem to bad so fingers crossed it stays that way.

I've been feeling a bit under the weather for a couple of days now as well, with a cough and aches, but still testing -ve.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:45 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:39 am How do you make your titres higher?
Instragram were saying the trick is apparently, to face side on to the camera, arch your back and raise one hand over your head. ;) :D
If Pfizer could claim perky knockers as a side effect I doubt we would be in this situation. :lol:
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:58 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:18 pm Wife has finally had her 3rd primary jab today. Should've happened weeks ago but for the shambolic roll out. And she didn't even have to provide any evidence of her history to get it.

Wife has now tested +ve for covid. She started with aches and pains, and lots of sneezing, on Sunday so, given she had her 3rd full jab late afternoon on Fri, we just assumed it was that kicking in. She doesn't currently seem to bad so fingers crossed it stays that way.

I've been feeling a bit under the weather for a couple of days now as well, with a cough and aches, but still testing -ve.
Sorry to hear that. I hope your other half turns around soon! Are you testing -ve on lateral flow or PCR? I would consider doing a PCR if you have a strong suspicion you might have it, even if the lateral flow is negative.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:01 am

Sorry to hear that. I hope your other half turns around soon! Are you testing -ve on lateral flow or PCR? I would consider doing a PCR if you have a strong suspicion you might have it, even if the lateral flow is negative.
Lateral flow for me. Yeah I did think about getting a PCR anyway - a colleague and his wife had it a couple of weeks ago and while she tested +ve on an LFT straight away, he tested -ve for 3 days before getting a +ve result.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:05 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:01 am

Lateral flow for me. Yeah I did think about getting a PCR anyway - a colleague and his wife had it a couple of weeks ago and while she tested +ve on an LFT straight away, he tested -ve for 3 days before getting a +ve result.
I've seen this not infrequently. Lateral flows are a useful screening test if you're asymptomatic (as in, they help identify people likely to be infectious) but if your pre test probability is high I would take a negative result with a pinch of salt.