Coronavirus

Explosive Newt

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Explosive Newt »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:12 am @Explosive Newt Symptom update for you to interpet:

Most of yesterday I've been really hot and feverish, but it's weird because I hadn't really been sweating, my skin was dry and hot. Then overnight in my sleep I suddenly sweated a lot. Now I actually feel a lot better, temperatures feel normal and I just have a few aches (like eye sockets, which have been sore throughout really). What's my body up to?
That's your immune system talking, son.

Says he's proud of ya.

:D

Best guess, your viral load peaked yesterday, accompanied by the release of interleukins and cytokines causing fever and today your innate immune system is hoovering up virus, releasing different cytokines that make you feel achey. I'm not an immunologist but the upshot is that you might consider taking a paracetamol.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Interesting, thanks!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Aside from a mildly irritating cough, I feel like most of the unpleasantness is over with. It was a full week of feeling pretty crappy though, not very nice.

@Explosive Newt I'm out of lockdown after tomorrow, by some miracle nobody else in the house has had symptoms. What are the chances I can still pass it on? It wouldn't be very pleasant, but I'm half inclined to stay away from the MIL until she goes home on Friday. If there's even a tiny chance, I don't want to be the one responsible for giving it to her.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My little boy had a temperature yesterday, he's still going into nursery so we're erring in the side of caution and had him tested this morning. I'm sure it's just normal toddler cold, but I'd hate to send him back in and infect anyone else if he did have it.

Though he did complain about the smell earlier when my missus had just had a coffee and breathed near him which gave me a bit of extra reassurance!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:39 pm Aside from a mildly irritating cough, I feel like most of the unpleasantness is over with. It was a full week of feeling pretty crappy though, not very nice.

@Explosive Newt I'm out of lockdown after tomorrow, by some miracle nobody else in the house has had symptoms. What are the chances I can still pass it on? It wouldn't be very pleasant, but I'm half inclined to stay away from the MIL until she goes home on Friday. If there's even a tiny chance, I don't want to be the one responsible for giving it to her.
no brainer mate - if you can maintain distance, I would in your situation too.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

That's what I was thinking. I definitely need a walk after staying in one room for 10 days, and I want to see the little one, but other than that I think distancing myself and being very careful with my hygiene should be possible for a few days.

I will have to drive her to the airport, but that will be a further 4 days later.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Frankly I'll breathe a huge sigh of relief when the mother in law has gone back home covid free!
Last edited by duncs500 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:39 pm Aside from a mildly irritating cough, I feel like most of the unpleasantness is over with. It was a full week of feeling pretty crappy though, not very nice.

Glad you are on the mend. 10 days and no longer feverish is the general advice but obviously that's all based on a bit of science and a bit of guesswork. You're most infective early in the illness (and usually prior to showing symptoms) and it declines over about 7 days, so you are much less infective now than you were. Close household contacts are obviously a different kettle of fish to passing someone on the street so I would agree with others that longer is better.

There isn't really any guidance around this but in hospital we would consider someone no longer infectious when they are 14 days after a positive test AND no longer running a temperature AND no longer short of breath AND doesn't have an underlying immune condition. So probably 14 days after your test date is the appropriate frail person avoidance window.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Still waiting on the test from my little boy - the last one we had came through well under 24 hours but this one is pushing 36 and nothing yet.

He's completely better now, so it was clearly just standard toddler illness, but we can't go risking other people til we know 100%.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

@Explosive Newt Ok, thanks.
John

Post by John »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:52 pm Still waiting on the test from my little boy - the last one we had came through well under 24 hours but this one is pushing 36 and nothing yet.

He's completely better now, so it was clearly just standard toddler illness, but we can't go risking other people til we know 100%.
I've been having tests on a regular basis as part of a survey and the negative results from that can take up to a week, I'm guessing if it was a positive result they'd be in touch much quicker.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

John wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:46 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:52 pm Still waiting on the test from my little boy - the last one we had came through well under 24 hours but this one is pushing 36 and nothing yet.

I've been having tests on a regular basis as part of a survey and the negative results from that can take up to a week, I'm guessing if it was a positive result they'd be in touch much quicker.
Well that's a nice optimistic view on things - cheers John!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I got my positive result last week within 16hrs. I was pretty impressed with that.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I didn't post in here at the time but I got a test before Christmas. It was negative (I assume just a normal winter illness picked up from the boy who was still at school) and that took the best part of 5 days to come back (!).

I would also assume they would prioritise notification of positive cases in the event of a backlog.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I'm booked in for the Astra Zeneca vaccine on next Thursday at my regular GP - they must be doing better than expected as I'm in the fourth group!
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:41 am I'm booked in for the Astra Zeneca vaccine on next Thursday at my regular GP - they must be doing better than expected as I'm in the fourth group!
Wife hasn't heard a dickie bird yet, but did see last night that the London renal units are starting vaccinations. I thought London was supposed to be lagging behind the rest of the regions? Doesn't seem that way.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I'm not sure, I think the government announced earlier this week that they will start sending letters to the over 70 group soon hence my surprise.
I wasn't sent a letter, just a text from my GP that I can call them to book it.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I know more people under 50 who’ve had it ( the vaccine) than over 80.

My mrs, 46, sister 38 and step daughter, 22, have all had their first doses.

I don’t know how they’re allocated, whether it’s up to the discretion of whoever gets the batches to decide how best to dish them out maybe within certain quotas?
Cheers, Harry
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Getting my first jab tomorrow evening at a specially set up site in Herts. Didn't expect to get booked in this soon! I'm not an oldie, either (31), but like Mito I'm I'm the 4th group. Impressed with the speed they're dishing these jabs out.

Not been keeping up with this thread, but I hope you're all doing well and surviving.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just for reference, both my parents had their first jab, last week. My dad is late 70s with borderline diabetes, and they included ma with his appointment, which I'm pleased about for several reasons, common sense if nothing else.

NW based too, for what it matters.